10 Things to Consider When Buying a Bird - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

10 Things to Consider When Buying a Bird

Owning a pet bird is no simple matter. Some parrots can live 50 or 60 years, so choose carefully: Buying one on impulse can have repercussions that last a lifetime. While there is no set number of things to keep in mind before you buy a bird, here are 10 considerations that never should be overlooked.

Click for article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 04:09 AM

Re: 10 Things to Consider When Buying a Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sassy

Is this particular bird appropriate for you? Make sure you know the reasons you want a bird, and make sure the bird you’re considering satisfies them. In other words, if speaking ability is important to you, then be sure to purchase a bird that has the potential to talk.

Source
If talking is really that important to you then you must buy a bird that can already talk and you have heard it speak. There is absolutely no garauntee that a bird will talk. Keep in mind also that many birds may talk for some time and then just stop talking for years at a time. Some never speak again.

Another important issue is noise levels and neighbors. I would not adopt a Cockatoo if I lived in an apartment, very loud!

And one must know that owning a bird is a lot of physical and emotional work and very, very, very expensive. The bird is expensive the cage, toys, accessories are expensive, vet bills are always on the large side even for yearly check ups, food is very expensive, and you will go through more paper towel than you ever thought possible.

By the way I absolutely adore my birds!