20/20 report regarding Teflon & death of birds... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Thumbs down 20/20 report regarding Teflon & death of birds...

They had a segment on 20/20 tonight about the toxicity of Teflon, Stainmaster, etc. products. Apparently when the Teflon skillet gets to a certain temperature (550), it emits toxic chemicals that are deadly to birds. They give no sign of illness, they just keel over dead immediately. You might think that 550 degrees is high, but they showed bacon cooking at 500 and it was still raw. So, in other words, those skillets get hotter than you'd think.

Word to the wise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've known about the Teflon issue since I got my first bird. I saw that report too, it was very interesting! The part about the chemical plant causing harm to children and birth defects
We live in a world that relies on chemicals - good and bad and sometimes deadly and dangerous.

I don't cook with Teflon - for that very reason - my birdies.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
And here I am again, showing my butt!

I'm so glad you already knew about this. This is the first I've heard about it.

Wonder what it's doing to our bodies, eating from it and all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 11:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I know what you mean SP - It's scary to think about the things we are exposed to and don't even realize or think about what they may or may not be doing to our bodies.

Sometimes I think about why so many of us have chronic conditions and "What did I do, eat, where did I go, what did I breathe? ... " was it something as stupid as teflon? Something we use or eat or do every day?

Watching that report, or any report of that nature - ugh- mind goes round in circles. Ignorance is not bliss- but sometimes I think it makes for a quieter brain

[center]

[
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 12:53 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

When we decided to get Eephus, and I started my research, the Teflon issue was one of the first things I learned about. I had always cooked with Teflon, as did my mom. So, it's no wonder that every pet bird I had as a kid (4 in all) died within months of coming to live with us.
I've always said to Greg, if the fumes can kill a bird instantly, what are they doing to humans ? I was so glad they did that segment, it's about time people are informed of this.

Last Christmas, my MIL AND my mom got me a set of stainless steel cookware for Christmas !!

Sharon
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 09:17 AM

Did they say anything about the lady that lost some birds when she used the self-cleaning feature on her stove???? (stove had teflon but no label saying it had teflon) I know theres a big ol lawsuit going on with it and I've cried several times reading her horror story. I was hoping that was going to be on there too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 03:41 PM

When I got into birds several years ago the bird shop told me about Teflon, and the local bird store near me has a big sign right over their desk warning about it. When I got my birds I threw away all my teflon and bought stainless steal pots, which I really like much better anyway! A good breeder and good bird pet stores I think warn people about this when they buy birds- thank goodness! Birds are so sensitive
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 10:45 PM

I missed the program last night, but that was the first thing the lady at the humane society told us about when we got Floyd.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:52 PM

I missed the show when it aired! I saw on another board that it was going to be on but when the day came up I totally forgot!
I would of really liked to watch, I guess I will have to watch for the rerun during the summer.

I think I only had one or two non stick baking pans in my home that I had to throw away when getting Gillian. All my pots and pans are the Hard Anodized. So luckily I didn't have to buy a new cook set when getting a bird. I couldn't even imagine the extra expense

Tags
humane society, pet store, pet stores