6 deaths in one day and no answers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 6 deaths in one day and no answers?

I came home today to find my breeding pair of finches and their three babies dead, as well as my parakeet. When i picked each one up, they were limp, so had just recently died. Both finches were on the ground, the females vent was dirty and one baby was as well thrown to the ground. The other two were in the nest.

My parakeet was also on the floor, vent clean but still limp. We are throwing the bodies out and throwing out all of the belongings (perches, toys etc) exect the cages and food dishes which we will scrub over very well.

Does anyone know what could have caused this? I never had anything happen like this before. Both cages are up high, so nothing could have gotten to them. I am worried because i have a ring neck dove and one female finch left and i don't want them going in the same way.

Both cages had plenty of food and water and were clean. Any ideas? I was thinking toxic fumes, but i don't use chemicals in my house, but i have a neighbor upstairs. Could the fumes came through the ceiling and caused these deaths?

I'm so worried, and upset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Herp Nerd

Sorry for your loss, how horrible. My guess would be fumes of some sort too, doesn't seem real likely that something could come through the ceiling, but does your landlord spray for bugs every year? I know many places do. Other than that, perhaps something in the air conditioning? A terrible situation.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no! I am so sorry that happend, I hope you can somehow find out what happend.

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm very sorry for your loss. I would definitely ask the neighbors if they sprayed for bugs.

Rhonda

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:40 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss ... that's horrible!

Has anyone been spraying anything? Did you burn a teflon pan?

It may be a disease going through your birds' population as well. You might want to have some tests done by an avian vet. I'd get your other animals out of there if I were you. But don't expose them to any other animals in case they are carrying something!!! You might want to try some basic quarantining procedures until you know anything for sure ... Wash your hands before handling animals from different cages, etc.

I noticed you have a lot of other animals -- reptiles are particularly sensitive to chemicals and airborne toxins as well. If they haven't been affected you may have some sort of bird-related virus.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your support..

I do always wash my hands between cages anyways, to keep everything clean and sanitary.

I am begining to think that one of the finches died, its mate died and the babies died because of no food and heat. Not too sure of the parakeet, it could be very well that he died on the same day as the finch. The reason for death, i have no idea. But this also could have been possible.

The only reason i believe this is, i have a female finch that is all by her lonesome, and the other pair of finches were far more active. I think if a chemical was sprayed, or a virus was going around, it would have wiped her out for sure.

I'm still not sure, but the house is a lot quieter. I'm still shaken and upset..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 11:59 AM

Well it's a long shot but....Other things that can kill birds suddenly are teflon. If you cooked with a teflon pan and it overheated/burnt it will emit fumes that you can't smell but will kill the birds. Carbon monoxide leakage is something else to look into. Do you have a detector?
If your dove is still alive and o.k. it may not be these things but is something worth looking into. I'm very sorry for your loss.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You may want to ask your neighbors about the teflon too, it can affect birds in other apartments, I'm told. I'm sorry for your loss.

Stephanie

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:22 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

Did you have a necroscopy done?? I would, then you would know why they died. I'm assuming since you have so many birds that you know of the dangers of teflon, scented candles, etc. I would definitely have a necroscopy done.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all

Jodi) Yes, we do know the dangers of teflon, and the only cleaner i use is natures miracle which is safe for pets, but even then its diluted and the windows are open and the birds out of that area. I'm very cautious.

I sadly threw away the bodies i was such in shock. I should have had work done on them. I asked my dad if he used any heavy chemicals and he said no, so i don't think that could be it...and we don't use any teflon (cause we don't cook, teehee)

As for the carbon dioxide, yes we do have a detector (if you don't, please go get one! I think they are very important!) so i'm really at a lost.

However my dove and last female finch is doing better, so i have to take the bads with the goods i suppose. I am still devistated, but since i threw out the bodies i really am at a loss of what it could have been..

But thank you all for being here and supporting me I felt so much better to hear from you guys and get your support
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:05 PM

If you cook with teflon pans, that could have done it. I herd it on t.v that cooking with teflon pans could be toxic to birds, so make sure they are'nt near by when you are cooking.

Tags
avian vet, breeding pair, food dishes