? about mojo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

? about mojo

I have owned birds for years, but nothing like the bird I have now. He acts if he is starving all the time. He will wine when he wants food he is just like a newborn. He will also only eat his pellets when he is out on his play gym. He will eat spray milliet in the cage and drink water but won't eat anything else unless out of the cage. Anyone have any ideas how to get him to eat in his cage? Is it safe if he is only eatting once aday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Glidertales -
How old is this bird, and what kind is he?

I can offer sympathy but I'm not sure how much help I can be because I'm in the same boat myself - I have a 'tiel that hatched in October and is still being handfed. Like your bird, he will eat millet, a few seeds (my breeder said not to even try pellets at this point) but he's in there screaming his head off at me right now because I won't feed him. I've been feeding him twice daily.

The breeder has told me that part of the reason is that he's so attached to me. I had been trying not to play with him too much, etc., because he is supposed to be a gift for my parents. When my husband finally got him out of the cage one night we realized that he was near death - a cockatiel will starve itself to death. He spent two or three weeks with the breeder in a cage with others that were weaning and was doing great. I brought him back home and he's back to the same thing.

Does your bird feel thin? Does he sit around fluffed up? What kind of HF food are you giving him?

Give me a little more info and we'll see what we can figure out.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

He is a 11 week old tiel. He is not thin he does eat just only when I let him out on the play gym. And you can forget anyother food besides the pellets or seeds. He will not even look at it. I feed harrison's bird pellets along with seed. I also offer lots of veggies and other things but noway. He does like pizza, I have heard of alot of people feeding them this but I am not so sure how good it is for him so he only had a lil peice one time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 01:06 PM

You may want to try to leave the dry food in his cage all day long, if you don't do that already. You may also want to try to locate the bird near where you eat. Remeber birds are flock members and learn from watching what others do. Try to have meals around him and see if he starts picking at food in his cage when he does PRAISE HIM! If he only will eat outside the cage that is because that is what he was taught so that means you can teach him a new behavior to change that. Since he likes pizza he probably sees you eating it so offer him any food that you may be eating (with the exception of avacado, chocolate, onions, mushrooms, keep dairy to a minimum and too much salt) a french fry every now and then wont hurt. Birds usually love chicken and pasta (with or without sauce), my one bird loves spicey peppers - don't worry it doesn't affect them the same way it does humans so it doesn't burn their mouths or tummies. You can also try some fruits like papaya or mango, banana, apples, grapes. Just keep trying different things until he is interested. If he won't eat them in his cage try feeding him on his playgym and then if he really likes it try moving it into the cage and if he eats it in there praise him.

Hope this can help a little but it just something that you have to work on depending on how stubborn your little feathered friend is it may happen quickly or could take a couple of weeks. Just be a good example and consistant
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 07:55 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Dena has some good suggestions. Don't forget the sweet 'taters!! Mine all love baby food instead of the "real thing".

My breeder suggested not even trying pellets until the bird is well established and eating seeds, etc. I personally disagree. Harrison's is great food and if you already have a 'tiel on those I don't think I'd bother with that!

When you offer food in the cage, are you putting it in the dishes that hook to the side of the cage or are you feeding out of dishes put in the bottom of the cage? It was suggested to me that I put the dishes in the bottom of the cage.

It is a good idea, too, to put the bird near you when you eat. We almost lost Frosty when we thought he was just being a spoiled Mama's boy so we moved him into another room where he couldn't see me.

Are you supplementing with handfeeding (short memory here!). I've got the 'tiel and a Senegal that I'm feeding twice a day. The Senegal is also eating some pellets and some Cheerios. Frosty spent all day yesterday with her head in her food dish but still was anxious to have her baby food last night. As you might guess, she's white, but the food is staining her feathers and making her look really nasty right now. I told my husband last night I'm gonna ask the breeder how many senegals they'll give me for this one 'tiel. (Yeah, right!)

Other than this troublesome little fellow what kind of birds do you have?

Good luck. If I hit on anything that works for us I will certainly share with you. My 4-year-old g'daughter had been here less than 24 hours and was saying "Nana, can't you do somehting with that bird?" He is really annoying!

I'll be looking for us a magic wand to wave over these guys. Keep me up to date!!

P:.S. - So ironic the morning you first posted about your bird. For some reason I had started calling the senegal Mogo that morning, although he had been Sinbad for a week or so. But you can look his way and say "Hey Mojo" and he's stretching that neck and trying to find a way to get to you. I'll post a picture of him later.....

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I will try some sweet potatoes at tonight. He is eatting now but only when put on a plate. I guess he learned to eat from flat surfaces and not dishes. Here are some pics o my guys. I would love to see your bird as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mojo + lil bit.jpg (19.4 KB, 27 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

One more

Its a little blurred due to dancing lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mojo dance.jpg (14.2 KB, 26 views)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Pretty bird!! And looks healthy - doesn't this just drive you crazy? I've handfed dozens of birds and never had one that I just could not wean!

I took this picture of Frosty last night posing with Zoe. Zoe is the g'daughter down here from KY for a week. I swore I'd never be one of "those" grandmothers who keeps pictures everywhere of the g'child, etc., but I lied!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zoe & frosty 1 3-6-03.jpg (32.5 KB, 24 views)

CRITTERCALL

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 12:40 AM

awesome pictures everyone!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Don't you just love when you can put both kids in one pic.
Very cute.

Tags
dry food