After 4 Years Parakeet Returns Home - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

After 4 Years Parakeet Returns Home

What a story......Wow, is All I can Say
-------------------------------------------------------------
After 4 Years, Parakeet Returns Home
PARKERSBURG, WV-May 26, 2004 — Four years after flying away from home, Fred the parakeet has returned to roost – and he still remembers his name.

The bird with the chipped beak recently was reunited with its owner, 11-year-old Aaron Edwards of Parkersburg.

"Aaron prayed every weekend, and I finally said to him, 'He ain't coming home.' That was three weeks ago," said Aaron's father, Mike. "Man, did I ever eat my words."

Fred flew away when Edwards took him to his used car lot in Parkersburg.

Ever since, Edwards, who also drives a tow truck, has asked customers if they had seen a green bird. Several said they had at their feeders; one sighting was in a junkyard.

The family then set up cameras at feeders hoping to catch of glimpse of Fred. But hopes grew dim as the winters passed.

On Friday, Kenny Balderson, a friend of Edwards', saw Fred at his Pettyville home. He called the bird by name and it flew down to him.

"What, Fred," the bird reportedly replied.

When Balderson telephoned that day with the news, Edwards thought it was a cruel joke.

"I didn't believe it until he showed up at the door," he said.

As Balderson entered the home with the bird, Edwards said, "Is that really Fred?" The bird then climbed up and snuggled to his chin.

The years have made Fred a kinder bird.

"He used to bite everybody he didn't like," Aaron Edwards said. "He's really mellowed down now."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mary, please be sure to post a link to wherever you get your articles, copyrighted works need proper credit given.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 12:12 PM

This is an article that went out on the Associated Press so "everyone" is reprinting it

The AP link is located at:
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...MPLATE=DEFAULT

The story itself is certainly a worthy one! Simply Amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I saw this article on our local news website. Originally written by Associated Press. Article attached

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/052..._parakeet.html