After 8 Years! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

After 8 Years!

So, I've wanted a bird for about 8 years now. I was going to get a Linnie despite my first choice being a Conure...

Plans changed when a coworker/friend came up to me and asked

"So how bad do you want a parrot?"

".... eight years is a long time."

Turns out her roommate's girlfriend had a Maroon-bellied Conure that she was looking to rehome. Three years ago she rolled her car with him in it. Since she was at the hospital the bird ended up staying at a cops house for a few days. Because of this he absolutely hates her and started plucking like crazy.

So on Friday I brought Squeek home. I immediately corrected the spelling mistake in his name and am debating on naming him Squeakers. I moved him to my huge cage (with proper bar sizing, his previous one had 1 inch!) and added my own toys/perches to it. He aaaadores me (so far) and practically makes love to my neck when he's out, preening my hair into a tangled mess. I gotta say, I thought the bites would be worse! As it stands, I'd rather have him bite me then my rabbit

The cats were all "OMG there a parrot on yer shoulder" but with my persistence they're losing interest. Squeak, unlike the rabbit, is a No Touch At All and he's not allowed on anything because he can't fly.

But, that's not what people want to see! Instead, it's these:

His new, huge cage.

Blurry, but adorable. Super hard taking a picture in the mirror of a bird that's afraid of the camera and is determinedly cuddling as close to yer neck as possible while half covered in preened -messy- hair. :/

I'm picking some stuff up for his plucking tomorrow. Even if he can't kick the habit I'll still love him in all his fluffy, scruffy glory ^^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM
It's all for them

Congratulations on your new family member! Sounds like Squeak is thrilled with his new home. He's beautiful!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wow, such a short adjustment period to realize, "Hey, I really like this one!" Congrats,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Betta Bomb

Wow, congrats on your new buddy He's really pretty, those up close face shots are incredible!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww hes wonderful and cute concure is my favorite type of parrot congrads on your new friend

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

@somebody: He's more scruffy than beautiful right now He's super comfortable, didn't bat an eyelash when he saw all the new stuff in his new cage. He hasn't played with anything yet (that I know of) but I'm crossing my fingers because I've collected a lot of stuff over eight years XD

@FlickeringHope: According to the previous owner Squeek demonstrated the same behavior whenever I visited as he does for her boyfriend, whom he adores. It was one of the reasons she let me take him :p There wasn't even an adjustment period! I stuck him in his cage and he immediately started pleading to escape. Then spent an hour cuddling the back of my neck.

@Purple-hops: Thanks. It helps he stayed absolutely still for the camera. It was trying to eat him, obviously.

@Nibbler: Conure's were my first choice! Specifically, Sun but they're soooo loud. I'm ecstatic to have one now! And he's 7 years old so he won't be going through the terrible two's... not sure about the teen... I'll have to check and see what years the teen years are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 04:28 PM
is a little "special"

Cute!! He's so pretty, I'm jealous! I had a Ringneck for about a month a few years ago (I found him in my back yard) and I miss having a bird. They are so fun.

At the vet clinic I observe at, they have an adopted Quaker as a clinic pet, and he completely plucked himself except for his head, wings, and tail. His feathers won't grow bad, but he is pretty adorable!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Zoo Keeper

He's so pretty I'm so glad you got him

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

@Jess: Birds are definitely "unique" pets. Loud, temperamental, messy, demanding, etc. XD

Naw, Quaker's are awesome. Plucking is one of the worst habits to kick :/ I'm hoping the stuff I pick up for him helps. The closest Avian Vet is ten hours away so I'm sticking with 'habit' instead of 'allergies' or 'parasite'. If he shows any other signs (diarrhea, vomiting, itchy skin) I'll be calling them up and making some sort of long-distance vet thing. Or rather, forcing them into it because Squeak needs it.

@Elliriyanna: Thanks ^^ So am I!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

Great pictures and awesome cage! Congrats on the little bundle of joy. After 8 years I bet your excitement is off the charts.

I had a green cheeked conure that died a couple of years ago. Feather plucking they say happens because of stress/boredom/parasites as you mentioned, etc. Sometimes they never break the bad behavior. Unfortunately for me, Cyrus became very mean. He would bite unexpectedly, attack, and it became an all the time thing. I tried to fix it, get parrot help DVDs (spent a lot of money on those) and everything I could. It didn't work, he just didn't like me. I couldn't give him up because I didn't know if his behavior would change and if it didn't I didn't want someone to kill him. So, I cleaned out his cage all the time, made sure he was happy in his cage, after a while, completely stopped taking him out he drew blood constantly, and after all that he never once feather plucked. It was like that is how he was happy. I honestly don't know what he died from, one day I took off his cover and he was face down in the cage. I never used teflon either. Anyway, not trying to bring your thread down by any means.

I have some of his things that you're more than welcome too if you pay shipping (assuming it isn't too expensive of course, I'm in the States).

• Some misc toys
  • A coconut feeder cup (he loved this thing)
  • A shower limb with suction cups (they love taking showers with you and the mist that gets them wet!)
  • The parrot DVDs
Nothing is contaimanated and is in good condition. I can take a picture tonight if you wish!

Congrats again!

P.S. The main thing I've ever learned to be a seriously helpful tip is to keep their wings clipped! Once they do not need you, their personalities can completely change. They rely on you if they can't fly.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Betta Bomb

Aw, I think if I had a bird I would never clip their wings. I watch videos of Einstien the African Gray and would love to see him fly. I never really thought about it though, if they can fly they will be more dependant?? That makes perfect sense. I just don't think it's in me to alter my little buddy like that. Is clipping stressful for them?? How often does it need to be done??
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 PM
is a little "special"

It can be for their safety too though. You wouldn't want your bird flying away!
They don't enjoy having their wings clipped, but it's not much different than having toe nails clipped. Not fun, but not the end of the world either.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Aw, I think if I had a bird I would never clip their wings. I watch videos of Einstien the African Gray and would love to see him fly. I never really thought about it though, if they can fly they will be more dependant?? That makes perfect sense. I just don't think it's in me to alter my little buddy like that. Is clipping stressful for them?? How often does it need to be done??
Anytime the main feathers grow out. It can vary per bird. You can learn to do it yourself. If I ever got another bird, I would since it can be expensive. The only saving grace was that banfield did a Tuesday and Thursday health awareness discount and the office visit was free. You only had to pay for the clipping.

I thought that way too about the clipping. I would think but he's a bird. I felt horrible clipping him, like I was taking away his right of being what he was. But, wasn't I anyway by owning him and putting him in a cage? You could see the difference in him if he was clipped versus not. When clipped, he has this innocent unsureness about him. When he wasn't, he'd bite, fly away from me, and I couldn't catch him unless he tired himself out. But once again, he just stopped caring for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
It can be for their safety too though. You wouldn't want your bird flying away!
They don't enjoy having their wings clipped, but it's not much different than having toe nails clipped. Not fun, but not the end of the world either.
Indeed. One of the biggest reasons for clipping is because birds can break feathers, necks, legs, etc by flying into things in a house. It's a huge part of their safety!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Betta Bomb

Wow!! Thanks guys! All these things I would never have considered- I know it would be such a long shot for me to ever consider a bird but sheesh! Well in that case- good for you Clipping toe nails?? That IS the end of the world if you ask the men (epic eye roll)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Lol, I still have to clip (the newly named) Necho's nails. Fortunately, one of my perches is meant to wear them down so I put it in front of his food and water (bwahahahaha).

The main reason I'll be letting his wings grow is the cats. If he is clipped it will be a short one so he can still make quick getaway's. But, of course, if he doesn't become a brat when he's flighted I'll be recall training him ^^

Oh, yeah, thanks, Purple-hops for helping me name another animal! Those lists are super handy... and the goldfish still need names... hmmm..

Tags
bird conure squeak