attn all Tiel owners: - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

attn all Tiel owners:

It has been FOREVER since I had a tiel (I actually used to breed & hand raise/tame them several years ago) I need a little refresher on suggested cage sizes for 1 tiel. I know the bigger the better... as is the case for ANY caged animal... but what is the preferred or reccommended?
What are you guys feeding now days? when I was breeding they didn't have the "pellets" they have now.... back then all they had was standard seed.

Thanks everyone!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 02:19 AM
Miss New Booty

Hi Kay!
I have 2 tiels'. Yes, I think the bigger the cage the better too. I don't have a pic of my cage my 2 share, but here is a link to Dr FosterSmith, which it looks like kind of the same size as ours. We have a stand too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=5&pCatId=5160

About the food, well I can't seem to get my guys on all pellets yet, they are so stubborn! But they seemed to pick at Zupreem mostly and some Kaytee Exact Rainbow. There is also Pretty Bird pellets and RoudyBush(sp?) Those 2 are mostly sold at specialty birdie stores. (although Pretty Bird is new at Petsupermarket) I have tried Harrisons and Lafabers with Angel (my umbrella) but I assume they have this for tiels too? All my guys want are those seeds! lol
Hope I could help!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Kay are you getting a 'tiel or two?
My 'tiel, Dweezil is in a large cage for a 'tiel, but it's the best cage I have ever owned. It's a California Cage.... such a breeze to clean and he's got a lot of room in there. I could go measure it- but I am totally lazy It's got a play top and is on casters.

I feed Zupreem pellets, Lafeber's Nutriberries and a good high quality seed, nut, dried fruit mix. He also gets a mixture of rice, legumes and beans served warm like mush (he loves this stuff and gets his beak all covered in it). I also give him fresh fruit, veggies, baked sweet taters.... he's not my picky bird!

When are you getting your new cockatiel? That's exciting!

[center]

[
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 11:07 PM

I feed zupreem colored fruit shaped pellets and some seeds too.
My cockateil loves millet seed, I think they all do. I know some people think they are bad for birds but I think they enjoy opening the shells- something fun to do. But the pellets are still his main diet. I'm too lazy to measure my birds cage too, but I think you already got a good size one.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

right now I am still feeding the seed mixture they were fed at the pet store mixed with Lafeber's pellets... I am also gonna get zupreem to mix in there & slowly ween them from the seeds. I see nothing wrong with millet as it is only a treat anyway.
(I have to get some eggshells for Pebbles though, it helps prevent a female from getting egg bound... this is good for tiels even if you're NOT breeding! )
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Princess in Waiting

We had a Hendrix 125 for our 'tiels - we never had more than one at a time, but it was the cage we always used! It is a nice sized cage but not the easiest to clean. The spacing is 3/4".

Is there a particular reason that you don't like the Lafeber pellets? I don't know a whole lot about that brand, but do know that if you can get a 'tiel to eat any kind of pellet you should keep it on it. They will literally starve themselves if they aren't getting the food they want.

The main problem that most bird people have with the millet is that it is "empty calories" - junk food for birds. Good to use when you start weaning, but if they are fed too much of it they will start to get fat.

The last cockatiel I weaned nearly starved because he preferred to be with me than to eat. I kept calling the breeder and talking to her and she was giving me advice without seeing the bird. I finally called and asked if I could take him to her because I was getting worried about him. We almost lost him - she had to put him back on 2 hand feedings a day, etc. So I learned a lesson the hard way with him!! (Now he lives with Mom and Dad and is a great friend with no problems at all when it comes to eating - just that my dad gives him too much junk and not enough veggies!!)

Good luck!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Playful Pup

My 'tiel eats a mixture of seeds with tiny pellets because she won't eat the bigger pellets, dried fruits and veggies (sparingly), millet and various fruits, and veggies with crackers and animal crackers for a treat. She likes to try new foods.

As far as cages go, they need room to spread and flap their wings without hitting anything. The longer the 'tiel spends in the cage, the bigger it should be because they need room to play. Your toys shouldn't clutter the cage, so make sure that your cage is big enough so that the perches and toys don't clutter the cage.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Curmudgeon

This thread is over six years old. You can check the date in the upper left hand corner.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:54 AM

The larger the better, I have a very large cage for just one tiel but he is never in it only to eat and sleep although even at night time it is uncovered and not shut

Tags
dried fruit, pet store, seed mix