Beekle let's me scratch him now - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Beekle let's me scratch him now

After putting up with me touching his head for the last month Beekle has finally worked out that he enjoys it. He likes to hang off the mirror in the lounge and when my hands approach him he raises his neck feathers. He even moves his head around to get full coverage.

Unfortunately he still hasn't worked out that I can help him remove feathers from his beak. I usually have to resort to trapping him to get close enough. Daft bird. If I don't remove them he flies around in a panic trying to shake them lose by himself. At the moment he's finishing off a molt (the last few stripes of childhood have gone from his head now) and he got a feather stuck twice over the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't think that birds like that the going f or the feathers on the beak, I'm still trying to convince Eli, that he l ikes to have his beak rubbed, but I have to start back at square one with that because some person, whom I stupidly let hold him, started playing with him, by putting here finger in his face. She got bit. Luckily she understood that it was her fault. I had told her that he doesn't like that. I should have taken him way, but wasn't that bold. But for now on I will be, for the sake of my bird!!!! sorry...lol
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 AM

Great news! Great progress!

A lot of birds love having their beaks rubbed. It's a sign of affection in the bird world. Toby will sit perfectly still with his googly eye look when I rub his beakie. Goofball!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Jodi, I have a question, would the reason why E li wn't let me touch his beak, very often, be because of his former abuse? And can birds have abandonment issues? because whenever I leavet he house or the room even, he goes bazzerk.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli
Jodi, I have a question, would the reason why E li wn't let me touch his beak, very often, be because of his former abuse? And can birds have abandonment issues? because whenever I leavet he house or the room even, he goes bazzerk.
It very well could be the reason. And just like people, birds have different personalities... maybe he just doesn't like it for some reason. He could have trust issues if he comes through an abusive situation and it's common in big birds to have abandonment issues. You have a tiel right? I'm not sure if it's common with them, but if they come from an abusive situation, it could very well be why he freaks out. He loves you and wants to ALWAYS be with you. Unfortunately in real life, that's not possible. If I let Toby he would spend all of his time with us!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Alika

Most birds love being pet against the feathers in addition to being scritched. Even my cockatiel, who loathes being touched with hands, will cuddle up next to a cheek and sit there for hours if you brush your cheek in the opposite direction tht the feathers are growing.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 09:57 PM

I know this is off topic, but Jodi, I must say what an absolute doll Toby is! If I could give him kisses, I would!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Chin Lady
I know this is off topic, but Jodi, I must say what an absolute doll Toby is! If I could give him kisses, I would!
Well thank you! That's very sweet. He loves to give kisses and make kissy noises. He's an incredible little buddy!