Bird attacked by Cat, and I don't know what to do - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Bird attacked by Cat, and I don't know what to do

During the the summer time my parent's make me keep the Birds outside, And a few weeks ago I had Avicado move to a new cage after my other bird died earlier this summer. Because it was bigger and it's easier to clean. Avicado had found a way to get out of the cage, but I wasn't really worrying about him. Because he would come right back home when I would call for him. (I well admit this was stupid of me)
Yesterday when he was flying home to me, I didn't notice that the neighbor cat was around. Avicado had missed me, so he made a u turn to around, That when the cat grab him, pulling him to the ground. Luckily, I was right there so was able to get the cat off of him quickly. So all he came away with, from what I can tell, is all his tail feathers missing, and his leg is somehow hurt. It doesn't look swollen, but he won't close it. he just keeps it held it up to himself, and let it dangle. And I have not seen him stand on it.
The problem is my grandpa had got me Avicado when I was visiting him down in FL. Avicado is a quaker. After having Avicado for a year or two I found out he is illegal in my state. I'm scared to take him to a vet, I don't want them to take my bird away from me. But everything I read on the internet says I should take him to a vet.
If anyone has any expert Advice on how to take care of him, I would appreciate it. But if i do have to take him to the vet i would, i don't want him to suffer because I won't do something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Curmudgeon

Don't keep adding bad decisions on top of one another. Take him to a vet ...NOW!

Vet's aren't law enforcement officers and they won't turn you in.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Hello Earthling

Get him to a very NOW. Cats have a bacteria in their mouth that is lethal to birds and rodents.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

like canadian critter said.

Being a wildlife rehabilitator, i bring wild animals to the vet all the time. I have a class I license so i can't take care of animals that carry rabbies. However sometimes the classII have too many raccoons and we take care of some of them. So I've brought animals i am not allowed to keep to the vet and they never say anything as long as you pay for the bill in the end.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

i took him to the vets, he's doing fine
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aw that's great!! Get more posts so we can see pictures of him!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
bird hurt leg