bird bath help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

bird bath help

how do you get keets use to using a bird bath I bought them one 2 days ago and they haven't looked at it yet.I know it takes time.I was misting them with a mister but I don't think they liked it,bam-bam started to pluck out his feathers,at first I thought he was molting but I didn't mist them yesterday,and know feathers in the cage,didn't mist them today so fare know feathers in the cage.the bird bath is the kind that clips to the cage door.they never come out of there cage,I know this is not good for them but the person who had them first was elderly and never took them out,so they are use to being in the cage all the time,this is a good thing in a way because I use a power wheelchair and have two dogs I'm afraid of running them over with my chair or the dogs getting them if they were out.still tring the veggies no luck so fare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mom to christopher,april 2 poms

pebbles,bam-bam 2 parakeets

red girl 1 beta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Curmudgeon

No sweat.

If they aren't used to it, they may not try it for awhile, ...if ever. It's not a huge deal.

Same for the veggies. If they like them, it's great. If not, as long as they have a good seed diet with occasional access to cuttlebone, they are good. You could but a separate dish in for pellets too, they may sample those from time to time.

Unless you see really aggressive preening and the beginnings of bald patches, you can assume most feather are coming out naturally. They really drop seasonally, but it's not uncommon to have a feather or three in the bottom of a cage every week.

Good call on keeping them in for their safety.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thank-you bob but I'm confused I thought they needed the veggies for there health and the bird bath or misting for there feathers.

red girl 1 beta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Curmudgeon

Veggies are good for their health, no question.

However, Budgies are primarily granivores in the wild. Most of their diet consists of seeds. They can live a healthy happy life in captivity on just such a diet.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

o.k. that's good to here I will keep trying the veggies but if they don't eat them I won't worry,what about the water for there feathers? another question it has to do with sleeping,I cover there cage about 5-7pm but they stay awake until about 11pm I know this is not enough sleep for them.I get up at 6-630 in the summer to walk my 2 dog.My apt is 2 rooms I watch TV in the bedroom and my husband watches TV in the living room the birds are by the kitchen table at the end of the living room.how can I get them to sleep more?

red girl 1 beta
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Curmudgeon

Don't worry.

If they want to bathe, they'll bathe when you offer water. other wise, you can leave a shallow saucer with water in there for a couple of hours each week.

As for sleep...

They sleep when they are tired. You can cover them if you like, but it's up to you. I let my birds sleep when they want. They take naps in the afternoon and sleep at night.

When I'm working nights, they adapt perfectly well. For months at a time, I may be up at nights and my wife on a regular schedule. The lights can be on around the clock some days. The birds have no problem sleeping whenever they like.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"