Bird Bathing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Bird Bathing

My lovebird is terribly afraid of water and I don't know how to give him baths. I try to mist him with a squirt bottle but he just flies around the cage madly. Can anyone tell me how to get my bird used to water? He loves his little water dish. I end up changing in roughly two times a day because of all the junk he throws in it. (millet, grapes, etc...) But he won't take baths!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 12:48 PM

If she flies around the cage madly when you are trying to squirt her than don't do it! You'll just freak her out even more. You need to start slower. Take her out and try letting her bathe in the sink or a bowl, etc. Let her slowly get used to bathing. Let her play around a bowl/sink/etc with water so she feels it but isn't overwhelmed by it. Talk to her while she's around it, dip your hand/fingers in it and try to act all excited and happy. They pick up on our cues very quickly. Acting goofy and talking baby talk can really get them excited. If she thinks you're enjoying it then she may give it a try.

She may never get used to a spray bottle. Some birds absolutely hate it (mine included) and of course, some love it.

Does she take a bath in her water bowl? Whatever you try just do it slowly and try not to overwhelm her...they can easily be traumatized. But they like to do things with "their human" so if she sees you enjoying water she might just warm up to it.

The methods I used with my big bird were a little different but the concept is the same. Good luck!

Tags
water bowl