The Bird I Cannot Wean - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool The Bird I Cannot Wean

This bird should have been weaned by now - but she's spoiled sooooooo rotten! I talked to the breeder today to get some tips on what to do with her.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 08:17 AM

It looks like she enjoyed her meal... She is beautiful...

Does she wear a bib?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I wish she would! She gets so angry when I try to clean her face, and that food sets up like concrete when it's dried. I've got to get her toenails clipped before we can sit down and do some serious face cleaning - and she usually doesn't look quite that bad.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Herp Nerd

My baby macaw weaned real easily, but basically what I did was leave some fresh corn in the bin with him and delayed his feeding times a little bit each day. Eventually when he got hungry he started picking at the corn... though he was always more than happy when I came with the turkey baster and bowl of food. He always got so excited when feeding that the food would get splattered all over the place. To this day he still gets excited when I bring out a tube of food for him.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 04:27 PM

Rav that sounds so cute!

Critter good luck weaning her!she is beautiful!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Rav, macaws have to be handfed for so much longer than their smaller cousins - I just can't imagine going through that. I love handfeeding my birds but there are some nights that I just want a break!!

I fed Frosty half her normal amount this morning and put her back in the cage. She fussed at me and insisted she was still hungry but I told her too bad. We'll get through this; I'm just not sure which one of us it is gonna be harder on!

CRITTERCALL

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

She is very beautiful.I wish you luck in getting her weaned soon.I have never had to handfed a bird,but imagine what you go thru with it.Good luck

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I love handfeeding, it's just beginning to be a bit of a burden because I know she should be weaned out by now and she's not. I should have sent her to Chatt w/Bubba and let Erin take her - the change would have pushed her into weaning.

But I can always look at the positive side and recognize what I am learning from this bird! I'm hoping to get a Senegal next month and will hand feed it, too. But I will do a few things a bit differently. (But you know, I was handfeeding Pip at the same time and one day he just turned away from the syringe as if to say "I'm through" and that was the end of it for him. Frosty is just a big Mama's baby - and I have to admit I like it just a little!)

CRITTERCALL

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:28 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Critter sounds like she is a little spoiled

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 07:44 AM

Critter, I am still handfeeding my Macaw, Toby. He is 7 months old so I know what you mean. He is only on one evening feeding but it can still be a pain in the butt! I will offer him formula as long as he will take it. In the wild, Greenwings don't get kicked out of the nest until a year old!! A lot of people try to "force wean" their birds which can be harmful to the bird. I think what your doing is great. She will let you know when she is ready to stop the hand formula.

Are you still getting the Senegal?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Jodi - I've heard that it isn't unusual for the macaws to hand feed for a year and a half. Much as I love hand-feeding, I think I'd be worn out with it by then!

I talked to the breeder last night and she said that it sounds like I've turned this 'tiel into a cockatoo. She's eating out of her dish - she just wants attention! She cries as much after she is fed as she does before. Our plan of action now if that Bubba is going to take care of her for a few days - stop the evening feeding, she's in a separate room so she can't see me as much so he's in charge of lights, covering, etc. - then after a few days I'm going to try getting her out to play and have love time and NOT feed. I've hand fed and weaned so many 'tiels that this is just crazy! The breeder said she had weaned out five since I talked to her a little over a week ago.

It's nice to be loved, but this is a little too much! Especially since she's supposed to be going to my parents - but I do want a bird for them that they can handle and love on.

I'm definately going to get another bird - but right now I'm wavering between a Congo gray and the senegal (big difference, I know). My other two grays were timnehs, so I think maybe I wouldn't expect a Congo to be quite as much like them, and I do love grays. Bubba even suggested last night that we clean out an extra bedroom and just have birds in there. The biggest problem there is when we go out of town - I don't know anybody that can come take care of them. The dogs and cats I can board, but there is an issue with the chin and I've found one place I can board the bird - just depends on how many I end up having!

Do you know much about senegals? I've talked to Dena about hers and fell in love with one at a pet store. (I don't feel like this is a typical pet store because the guy breeds his own birds to sell - I think that makes them a little more loved and well cared for!)

BTW - I AM going to be checking (or having Bubba do it) to make sure Frosty is eating during this few day period of isolation because if she isn't I'll be right back there with the syringe. Don't want you thinking I'm just gonna totally ignore her!!

CRITTERCALL

Last edited by Crittercall; 01-17-2003 at 10:09 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 10:31 AM

Critter, that sounds like a good plan. Maybe Frosty sees the feeding time as a loving time - so giving her love without food sounds like a good idea. I have heard that for Macaws part of the reason they like getting an evening feeding is that it's comforting to them that mama is filling them up before bedtime. Sounds kinda silly, but it makes sense. BTW - who's Bubba?

I have the hand feeding down to a system now so it doesn't take too long....Jeez, at first it was so stressful. I was always afraid I was going to hurt him or heaven forbid, kill him. Macaws bob so hard on the syringe!! It sounds like you have a lot of experience handfeeding so thats great. I know what you mean about going on vacation though. Needless to say, we won't be going anywhere until Toby is completely weaned!!

Ohhh, I wish I had space to have a seperate "bird room". Jeez, this house would be filled with birds!! LOL A friend of mine created one room into a huge aviary; complete with clouds painted on the ceiling and tropical trees painted on the walls. It has tons of ropes, perches, playgyms. It looks great and I am SO jealous!

I know what you mean about the Greys. Before we deceided to get Toby we almost got a Grey. They are such awesome birds. So smart it's scary! I don't really know anything about Senegals. Let me know what you find out though.

hehehehe - Toby just said "I love you mama". You just gotta love him! He is such a character...it is really funny to listen to him practice talking. He sounds like a baby babbling!!!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Herp Nerd

I have a senegal... and while I haven't had a grey, I can't compare them directly, I do know my little senegal is full of personality. He likes to be scratched on the head and will lead against the cage bars when you walk by if he wants attention. He's not a big talker, but he does know a few words - he is a great mimicer. He has my cell phone, the door bell, the microwave, the house security beep, even the smoke detectors all down perfectly. Every now and then him and my macaw will talk back and forth 'Hello.' 'Hello Shazbot.' its kind of funny. Dunno... I stumbled into my sennie as a rescue when he was already weaned, so I didn't intentionally go out looking for him, but I certainly don't think it was a bad thing. They are wonderful little birds.

Rav

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

That's me - no personal experience with a Senegal but have heard nothing but good things. My first Timneh and my Eckie used to carry on conversations, which was hilarious. Henry (the Eckie) insists on living in my bedroom - if he's any where else in the house he does nothing but scream. So if he's happy, I'm happy.

Let's see a picture of the Senegal, Rav!

Jodi, I think I'm like you - I'd have a house full of birds if I could. But I'd want to hand raise them all! Actually, though, Henry was about 8 months old when we got him; I had worked for some people in their aviary and he was my payment. Someone had given them a deposit on him then backed out so he kind of "fell through the cracks" for a bit. It didn't get too long to get him back - you can not touch him on his back, so snuggling is out, but he will tell you he loves you and that he's Daddy's pretty, pretty bird. I've heard him say Mama one time.

Bubba is my husband - the man who funds this operation!

Next I'll scan in some of my wildlife rehab pictures for you = you're just getting to know me!

CRITTERCALL

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Herp Nerd

A rather old pic, but he still looks exactly the same.

Rav

Tags
cage bars, pet store