Bird in my house! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Bird in my house!

Just a second ago, my mom and I went upstairs and opened the door and there was a little bird sitting there in the corner! My mom said "Um come look there is a bird here!"
I immediately thought that it must be dead, being I have two cats and a dog. But it was alive and cowering there. My mom picked it up with rubber gloves and it was making a very weird chirping noise. We set it outside on one of our chairs as far from the wind as possible. I don't know how it got in the house or how long it has been here, but about an hour ago I heard the weird chirping noise and thought it was just the cat or something.
It toppled off of the chair and is sitting in the corner right now outside under the balcony. I know you aren't supposed to stress birds out and I'm trying to avoid that. I don't know if it is hurt or anything, but my mom said that there is nothing we can do right now. Maybe if it is still there later I can convince my mom to take him/her to the vet or something. I really don't know what to do. Oh I'll also mention that I don't know what kind of bird, but it is wild and possibly a baby, but very small anyway.
Any advice is appreciated Pics soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

We have a wall-sized sliding glass door that opens up to the deck, with bird feeders. That said, we get a lot of birds that fly into the window.

You're right; you're not supposed to stress them out. What we do is scoop them up, put them in a dark(and heavy, so they can't get themselves out) box. We leave the bird in there anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how much damage they did to themself. The first bird we had that hit the window we brought to a Rehabilitation Clinic, and she wormed the poor guy, and did all kinda of hands-on things, and he died. The best thing to do is leave them alone.

Earlier today, as a matter of fact, a finch hit the window. It was my first time actually getting to the door faster than anyone else to pick him up, and he didn't look good..he was really out of it and limp. He was in the box for like 40 minutes and started chirping and flapping around to be let out. Since we've used this method, we've had a 100% success rate.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thanks so much Flickering Hope! I will check and see if the bird is still outside in the morning

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

No problem,