bird pellets question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

bird pellets question

Since this pellet things is all fairly new to me...
As I had mentioned in other posts, I am currently feeding Lafeber pellets mixed with Zupreme fruit pellets. These little turkeys have decided not eating seed is ok, BUT they don't seem to touch the Lafebers. They only pick out the Zupreme. Is Zupreme by itself a good diet for tiels? (I have heard several other say they only feed Zupreem)

Just curious if I should not bother wasting money on the Lafebers & only feed Zupreem since they love it so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 11:25 PM

They are both pellets so either one is fine. I tried mixing two different brands just for the sake of variety with my senegal and he would pick out and drop the one brand and only eat the other. So I guess he decided he didn't like variety. Pellets for the most part should contain the same types and amounts of nutrition (they are all the same concept) For variety just give them a little bit of what your eating at meals. When I go out to eat I will take home a little doggie bag for the birdies.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Kay, my birds eat Zuppreem pellets - and I give them Lafeber's Nutriberries intead of lots of seed/nut mixes. (I do give them a seed/nut/dried fruit mix too - just for lots of variety) Lafeber's pellets are so boring to look at- maybe they are attracted to the colors and the fruity smell (they smell like Froot Loops to me)

Now, my first 'tiel? He only ate the Lafeber's boring green extruded pellets! Go figger!

I think Zupreem pellets are just fine. If that is what they are eating I wouldn't waste my money on both. It's just really great that they eat pellets, period! (just my oppinion)

I saw spray millet mentioned in another thread- I hang spray millet for Dweezil. It seems to make him happy and gives him something to work at. It seems to be his favorite treat. He can strip a spray in no time!

I have a very strange Cockatiel... I know that they aren't supposed to eat by holding anything in their feet- like bigger birds do - but! Dweezil picks up his pellets or berries, holds it in his foot and eats it that way! It's the strangest thing...
Do you guys have 'tiels that hold food with their feet and eat it this way?
Could he have learned this because his cage has always been near the larger birds?

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:08 AM

I used to mix Pretty Bird with Harrisons and Dante didn't like the fruity colorful ones. He picked them all out (the purple ones went first LOL)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

LOL Dena- they all have such different personalities - I swear, they are just like kids!

[center]

[
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 04:25 AM
Princess in Waiting

The Zupreem is fine - and as you say, you save money by feeding only one food. Bubba will not feed our birds the colored pellets because he says they "just aren't right". My guys are all on Rowdy Bush - big guys get some seed mixed in - and are doing well. I save leftovers for them and Moji gives Bub dirty looks if he doesn't share.

I didn't even think of that at Outback the other night. My PT level in my blood is screwed up and I'm totally off salad so they offered me veggies instead. Should have taken them unseasoned for the birds. You're right - I'm not thinking.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks guys! I also give them millet (1 spray a day)
I agree with you Deja... thankful they are on pellets rather than seed... makes for a much healthier bird! Once in a while seed is ok, just not as a main diet.
Dena... Last night we had MCDonalds & Pebbles stole one of my daughters french fries! It was kinda funny... years ago we had a tiel that would eat cooked chicken.

I won't stress the food thing then as long as they are eating that is what is really important!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 08:31 AM

Did somebody say McDonalds French Fries???
I love French Fries! I am the French Fry Queen! I can eat McD's FF all day long! :tongue3: (don't we have a smilie eating FF's???!!??)

Oh sorry, we were talking about bird pellets right?

Btw, Toby loves McD's fries too....not that I ever give him any...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

LOL you guys - Dante -the pickiest eater on earth, actually loves Micky D's Fries too!! Dweezil picks at them - he doesn't eat them with gusto though. Of course - I don't give them to my fids very often (one of my cats, Abby - omg she's a fry freak! she'll steal them right out of your hand- very odd!)
Of course- it' 10:00pm - I haven't eaten a thing all day (I've been cleaning and scrubbing my house since this morning - can you believe it? omg ) I want fries!!!!!

[center]

[

Tags
dried fruit, seed mix