Bird Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Bird Question

A friend of mine gave us a big bird.It is a parrot of some kind.He was given to her from a couple whose father passed away.She could no longer keep the bird and as pet crazy as we are we took him in.
The story is he came from old mexico city is about 25 years old.He has a yellow head his beak is white with a green body.He also has shades of red in his wings as well as darker shades of green.
I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to what kind he is.
He is a very beautiful guy but is very defensive towards us.He will take sometime to get used to us all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 11:46 PM

Can you cet a picture of him? How big is he. Sounds like a type of amazon but I am not sure. Critter would probably know off hand.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Resident Chatroom Blonde

source
My DIL just found this site I think it is a doubled yellow headed amozon.The picture at the very bottom is similiar to Poncho.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 09:31 AM

Thats what I thought he was but could not be sure. The yellow head kinda gives it away but had to make sure about the size. Boy do you have your work cut out for you! A really good book to read is "Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot" by Mattie Sue Athan. Its a Barron's book but most in the bird world thought it was a good book especially for beginners regarding behavior.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I didn't look at the source yet but my first thought was that it is a double yellow head and Dena confirmed that.

With a bird that age you've taken on a HUGE responsibility. (You may remember my tales about trying to get along with an 8-year-old Macaw who no longer lives here!)

Take it easy on him and let him get used to his surroundings. See if he will pick a "person" among you with whom he feels more comfortable before you try any holding, etc.

This sounds like a "wild caught" bird and they are difficult. My daughter had an orange wing amazon that we had no idea of age (she was his third owner). She's an animal magnet and he took to her pretty well. She could scratch his head through the bars of the cage, but holding the bird was a different story. No talking, but lots of growls when I was around! I happened to be there when he died (I should be saying "she" - we found out the bird was a girl) and knew it was bad when I was able to cuddle the bird and talk to it.

Let us know how it goes! A test of patience for sure.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 04:18 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Don't know how I forgot to add my comments about Poncho!
First of all - Congratulations! I've always loved amazons - my boss has one that lives in our bird room at work - he's in his 20s, and was wild caught - she's his second owner. He only says "Hello", and makes some baby noises - but boy can he sing ! He sings opera, and he's so much fun to listen to.
Now, I've read in a few different places, that an Amazon that sings - won't talk much, and vice versa. Don't know how true that is, but it seems to be true of Bubbles (my bosses bird).
I've read that if their diet isn't right, they can suffer from a Vitamin A deficiency (is that spelled right?), and that can cause liver problems. That's the only potential problem I remember reading about. Some signs of it are excessively watery droppings, deformed or overgrown beak, and overly dry feet.

Boy, he ought to be a lot of fun for you - hopefully he'll settle in nicely .... I'm so jealous ! I'd love to have an Amazon !

Sharon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Princess in Waiting

I know vitamin A can be an issue with Grays (or is that Vitamin K? better look it up!) but I don't know about amazons.

Most pet amazons that I have known do like to sing - especially opera-type singing. So funny. I just love to hear them and love to hear their muttering and chattering. But the chattering I have heard has mostly been in pairs.

Erin's bird was fairly quiet unless he was growling at me!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."