Bird Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Question

I was wondering on what is a good bird for talking?

Is it the male cocktail?

I want a bird for inside of the home but I want one not over 200 bucks but like to have one that talks and keeps you company.

I also later like to try and raise some baby cocktails but how hard are they do breed?

I miss my miss tazzer when we had her but had to give her away a long time ago she never could talk but tried her darnest to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Male cockatiels are good talkers and are less than $200 also budgeis are good talkers too and they are way cheaper......the buying that is the good care of any pet is expensive!

You must have expirience in raising baby cockatiels in general any bird that will spend time with people. They are very demanding. If you want to start you should check around for a qualified breeder that is willing to show you how to take care of the babies. You would need to know when to pull them from the parents, what, how and when to feed them, what to do in an emergency and be able to find good responsible owners for the babies.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 12:13 AM

My aunt who lives out of the province breeds cockatiels.
She's going to visit here tommorrow with 15 of her beloved birds
If theres a baby I will probably get one off her.
I currently have 1 cockatiel & 1 budgie [seperate cages].
I find cockatiels more demanding than budgies.
But I can't picture my life without either =]
My aunt does great breeding,so they must be easy to breed!
I know with budgies you should invest or borrow another pair of budgies to get your current to breed.
I had budgies all thru my life& the different genders never bred at all unless they seen other birds.

Neither of my birds talk.
I really wasn't that interested in getting them to talk to be honest.
I talk to them,they talk back to me in their birdie voices & I just pretend to know what they are saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Curmudgeon

You don't buy a bird for talking. It's hit or miss whether you'll get one, as there are many factors involved.

The bird species that holds he Guiness World Record for most words and phrases (at least it used to be...) is the common Budgie, or parakeet.

I'd say if that were my only criteria, ...and that should be one of your LAST critera, that is one I'd choose.

Instead, look for a bird that is within your capabilities to care for and one that can live with your family and schedule.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 07:12 AM

Well said !
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:55 PM

The good talkers tend to be the big birds and if that is the only reason you want a bird well you might not get lucky in getting one. Sometimes small birds are not good talkers like African greys and Amazons. They are more expensive then the cockatiels and budgies.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Curmudgeon

Actually, the bigger birds aren't all that good at talking. Macaws and Cockatoos are only fair at best.

Greys are great imitators, and Amazons are pretty fair at talking, but the smaller birds, budgies and 'tiels are the better talkers.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 11:52 PM

I heard a lot of budgies talk,I was told its best to just say one word continously over & over again till they catch on.
Again,I haven't even attempted it.
If they pick up words,fine by me,if not,meh
I just like how affectionate my birds are& how everything seems to entertain them.
Plus,I had only heard one "bigger bird" talk.
He is a parrot,not sure the kind,fairly greenish if that helps.
& Though he knew a few words he didnt talk as "clear" as the budgies had.
Budgies are cheap to buy.
Talking can be a hit or miss sometimes I guess.
But don't miss out on the greatness of bird keeping just because the bird don't start speaking in human language.
I can't imagine not having birds now.
& I had them for awhile& they just talk to me with their "birdie voices" which I actually prefer much more .
Nothing more pretty than the sound of birds. =]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 09:08 PM

I say never get a bird based on talking ability, appearance, or even price. Get one that you feel you can look after well. Don't look for the cheapest bird you can get. Sometimes cheap birds are sick or have bad backgrounds. Sometimes they're not even hand raised, or were hand raised poorly. Look for dedicated breeders that breed for their own enjoyment and to enhance the bird's well-being and health. Any bird, even small, inexpensive birds, can become very expensive due to vet bills, toys, proper food and nutrition (that includes fresh veggies and fruits!) and a proper cage. So pick one that you know you want to care for, and are capable of. Cockatiels and budgies make good pets, as they are small, rather easy to care for and yet very personable. It's advisable only to hand feed with help from a qualified avian vet and/or the breeder themselves. Take lessons. Learn. A bird that isn't hand fed by you will also be a great companion, just as good, in fact. Maybe even better. Good luck!

Btw, my budgie talks very well and mimics sounds quite a bit (especially the microwave!) she's very personable and loves human attention. The thing is, it took her quite a few years to start talking, and many of them just don't. She also wasn't hand fed and took quite a while to become affectionate and trusting. She's still somewhat weary of humans and won't step up, but that's okay because we're comfortable with her being as she is, as she's happy that way. She's 8 years now.

Last edited by Keppeh; 05-20-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Tags
african grey, avian vet, seperate cages