A bird question from a friend..... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Question A bird question from a friend.....

Question, for the smoking people who own birds here... how do you deal with it? I know smoking is very bad for a birds small respitory system. But I know there is NO way her dad will quit. She asked about this on another "birdy" message board and got 3 responses 2 of which were more of a putdown for being so cruel as to bring a bird into a smoking home.

Anywho, she bought air purifiers and the bird will be kept in a room her dad doesn't go in (ever). Would it be extremely harmful if she's around the smoke on things like the holidays... while the air purifier is running?? She doesn't want to leave her in her cage when she can hear everyone downstairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 05:35 PM

What kind of bird is it?
Smoking is really bad for a birds respitory system (they are so sensitive!) but I guess your friend already knows that. Peronally, I wouldn't want my bird to live in a smoking home but if you're talking about just having the bird around the smoke for a couple of hours....then it would probably be ok.

Last edited by JGawana; 10-26-2003 at 09:35 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't think it would be too bad if the bird was around it for a little while.

My mom and I both smoke (my dirty little secret is out!) We have 2 of those industrial sized air purifiers in the house, plus 2 of the smaller ones. I keep my pets in a separate room and they have their own air purifier in there. I NEVER smoke in their room or when I'm playing with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I smoke too (hanging head in shame)...
I keep the birds in the eating section of the kitchen. There is a vaulted ceiling with a skylight... they get plenty of fresh air and natural sunlight and I have a couple of those Ionic Breeze air cleaners. (those things are amazing, if anyone was wondering or if you have one?)
I don't smoke near them or when I have them out in other rooms.
I've had parties and lots of smokers in my house for Holidays etc... I usually crack a window and make sure they aren't getting drafted.

I agree with Jodi and Scarlette- I think the bird will be ok too.

[center]

[