Bloody Parakeet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Bloody Parakeet

Today when I went downstairs, my parakeet, Pony, had blood all over his right wing. He's bleeding really badly, and there's blood all over the bird paper at the bottom of the cage. He was fine yesterday when I covered his and Soda's cage. Does anyone know what's causing this? I can't take him to the vet for a few hours, since my mom is waiting for the chimney cleaner and this is the only time he could come or a long time. How much blood can a little parakeet lose before it's too much? I'm really worried about Pony, but he's still playing with his toys and acting like everything's okay. Did Soda do this to him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Adolescent Pup

I don't have birds yet but I have done a lot of research and maybe one of his blood feathers broke. If you can find the bleeding feather, pull it out.
~Jenn
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:22 AM

Go to a vet ASAP! I'm not exaggerating, birds cannot tolerate much blood before it's dangerous.

I have no idea what could've caused. He could've injured it in the cage somehow or Soda could've done it or he could've been picking at it or he could've broken a blood feather..... It most likely is a broken blood feather from your description. But you'll need to see exactly where he's bleeding from.

But regardless... get him to the vet ASAP!! Birds cannot lose much blood at all! What you're describing is a lot of blood loss for a little parakeet. Blood loss in parrots is very serious.

Can you see where he is bleeding from?? Try some corn starch or flour on where he's bleeding. Apply pressure. (btw, don't use syptic powder on a blood feather as it burns live tissue, that should only be used on toenails)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:24 AM

BTW, if it is a blood feather and you want to remove it. Towel your bird, get ahold of the feather with a tweezers and pull straight out very quickly. Don't twist. Your bird will not enjoy this so be prepared. If you don't think you can do it, and the bird is still bleeding, just get him to the vet ASAP and they'll remove it for you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

The problem is Pony won't let me near him. He only tolerates me when he's out of the cage, and the room where we let them out is "under construction." But I'll definitely get him to the vet ASAP, I'm so glad my vet treats parakeets. Thanks so much guys!
BTW, he's lost about four drops of blood.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:28 AM

Ok, that's right now I remember about Pony & Soda. Well, as long as you can get to the vet, that's your best bet. Stay calm and hang in there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I can't take Pony to the vet today, or tomorrow. The vet is only open until noon, and they're about thirty minutes away, and the chimney cleaner just got here, and so my mom can't leave the house. My dad can't take Pony to the vet either cuz he's on a business trip. Since Pony's wing has stopped bleeding, does that mean he'll be okay? I feel really bad about not being able to take him to the vet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Okay, scratch that. My mom has made an appointment at the vet's and we'll be leaving shortly. Thank god for moms.