Budgie chews on ladder wood - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Budgie chews on ladder wood

Hi everybody -- I know, another posting. But I have all these birdie questions built up, and I'm so excited to finally find a bird bulletin board!

My budgie recently started pecking at/gnawing one of the sides of his wooden ladder in his cage. Could this be a sign of stress? Do I need to get him a new cuttlebone?

He seems just as happy and chattery as always. Do I need to get him new toys? Or is it not anything to worry about?

Thanks for your input!
Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 10:17 AM

That is perfectly normal. Your budgie is conditioning his beak. They love to chew, well except one of my birds he only likes to fight with acrylic toys. He is seeing the ladder as a toy. You may want to get some little wooden toys for him to chew since he likes to do that. My budgie is obsessed with bells so I always get him toys with lots of bells on them. She sleeps with her head stuck in one of the bigger ones. The cuttle bone isn't really a chew toy as much as it is a calcium suppliment so I would still leave that in his cage. I change my cuttle bones regularly just to keep them fresh. I would keep at least three different toys in his cage at all times and rotate them about once a month to keep him from getting bored.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!!!

Thank you very much!

Your birdies sound really cute. I'm glad Snowy is OK. The suggestion about wooden toys is good.

He does have one absolutely favorite toy, and that's a circular toy with little rattle balls that twirls around his perch. We never take that out because I think he would freak. But we do rotate his other toys and change around his type of perches. He likes the real twig ones best.

Thanks again! -Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:44 AM

lol. My lovebird knaws. She knaws on her perch, toys, cage, etc. I was concered at first, but now that I've read this post, I'm a bit relieved. I put some more wooden toys in her cage and it sorta helped but she's still chewing the cage itself. I think she's molting as well. At least, she's losing alot of feathers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

They really can be chewers and gnawers! Even the little guys! If you find he's really going at that ladder and offering new wooden toys is only a slight distraction you can find one made from a stronger wood. One that he'll be able to gnaw and condition his beak on, but not do too much damage too.
I've seen some nice ones made from Manzanita wood. Very hard to destroy and he'll still have her chew-ladder

Dena, my 'Tiel loves bells! He'll stick his head in his pick of the week and hide and sleep with his head in it too! I just always make sure that the hangly sound ring thingie (so techie of me to describe it that way is secure and can't be chewed and removed.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 09:43 AM

I watched for that when I first noticed her obsession but she bangs the whole bell, all you hear is constant ringing from her cage! She doesn't pay much attention to the clanger inside and I have never caught her chewing on them so I think she's okay. Theres her jingling now! Wish we had sound so you could here it LOL!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:25 PM

I think gnawing and chewing is natural in all birds. My lovebird does not chew on anything. She doesn't even play with her toys. I keep her a cuttlebone though. She loves it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Eh, I can handle a few ladders...

Eh, I can handle it, if he wants to chew on ladders, then ladders he shall have!

Thanks everybody for your feedback. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja
They really can be chewers and gnawers! Even the little guys! If you find he's really going at that ladder and offering new wooden toys is only a slight distraction you can find one made from a stronger wood. One that he'll be able to gnaw and condition his beak on, but not do too much damage too.
I've seen some nice ones made from Manzanita wood. Very hard to destroy and he'll still have her chew-ladder

Dena, my 'Tiel loves bells! He'll stick his head in his pick of the week and hide and sleep with his head in it too! I just always make sure that the hangly sound ring thingie (so techie of me to describe it that way is secure and can't be chewed and removed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:01 PM

My lovebird loves chewing on me!

Tags
chew toy