budgie rescue! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:56 AM
Neuroticah

budgie rescue!

I rescued a little budgie named hudson..he's a senior budgie whose mate died just over a month ago...he's getting along great with my cockatiel romeo...who is so gentle it surprises me...hudson chased romeo away from his food dish today and romeo flew over, landed on my head and cried about it...hudson also chases romeo and follows him around alot. Romeo tried to preen hudson but hudson would have none of that. They're adorable...but i guess i'll have to do some reading on budgies!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:17 PM
Princess in Waiting

Sounds like fun!

Yep, hit the books and the 'net - that's what I do. Seems there is always something new to learn.

The PetsMart near me has an Eclectus that I just love. I've watched him go from having a mostly brown beak to having that wonderful little candy corn beak. Yesterday I was in there and he started talking as soon as he saw me. Only thing I could understand was "hello" but he chatted away. If only he weren't $1400.......

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Akasha

hey critter any idea on how to help bond 2 budgie together?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I would start them out in separate cages, sitting next to each other. This will give them each their own space but still allow them to see each other. As they grow more accustomed to each other you'll see them sitting side by side, although each in its own cage. When they start doing this you might try putting them in together and see what happens. There may still be a bit of a problem with "pecking order", or they may just be thrilled to see each other. When they start preening each other you'll know you've got it made! Ideally you would have a third cage so that you would not be moving one bird into the other one's territory, but I realize this isn't an ideal world and not everybody has a garage full of bird cages like I do!

Good luck with them - let me know what happens.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 02:13 AM
Akasha

aww our poor little rescue broke a blood feather today the bleeding has stopped and she looks ok a bit bloody but ok. any suggestion? any percautions? if it starts bleeding again we'll take her to the vet but for now she seems ok

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 08:14 AM

hmm

Also when you put them in the same cage, maybe take the cockatiels cage and really get the smell out and totaly rearange his toys or add some new ones to the mix as well, move perches around. Makesure youre not giving this new bird that much more attention or the cockatiel may get jealous of that too.

good luck the keet sounds like a sweetie pie! It seems like the keets really like fruits and veggies alot more then cockatiels too! Ive noticed this as the petstore anyhow
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 10:21 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Akasha, if you can handle her and clean her up with a little warm water or peroxide fine. If you can't, she'll clean it up herself.

Did the feather come completely off or is part of it still in there? You may have to take her in to get it completely removed. They are harder to get out than you might think and she is going to be really angry with you for trying! And birds hold grudges!!

Cockatiels are really prone to "night frights" - and about all you can do is turn on a light and talk to them until they settle back down. But they break a lot of feathers this way.

Just to totally clear me up - are you putting the budgie and 'tiel together or two budgies??? (Hey, I can always use the Fibro as an excuse for a bad memory!!)

CRITTERCALL

Tags
bird cage, separate cages