Budgie sleep - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Question Budgie sleep

How much sleep does a budgie need and what quality?

Beekle is in my living/dining room and that means he is only in the dark when the rest of the household is asleep. In practice that probably means eight or nine hours of dark a night including daylight coming through relatively thin curtains (call it 11pm to 8am). I've noticed that after about 9 in the evening he seems to fluff up and doze a little.

He is alone during the day so he could snooze then if he wanted but I've been in the habit of leaving a radio on for company.

There isn't really anywhere I can put him to get more darkness and he seems fine after nearly a month so do you think this could be a problem or is he gonna be fine?

I can't really see how anyone could give a caged bird 12 hours of peace, quite and darkness in which to sleep but maybe I'm wrong

Today he actually moved toward me as I reached to replace his seed pot. He changed his mind as I got really close but I think he's beginning to trust me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:28 AM

Birds need a good 10-12 hours of sleep every night. Some sources even say 12-14 hours of sleep or to wake up and go to sleep with the sun. You will notice a mood difference in your bird if they get a full nights rest.

This doesn't mean having them covered in their cage in a busy room where the phone is ringing, the TV is on, etc. They need a quiet area to get some good solid rest. For the smaller birds, you can buy a sleeping cage and place it in a room where there isn't any activity or noise in the evening. For larger birds, a crate or birdie bed works well.

It really is important that your bird gets a full nights rest. Don't rely on the fact that your bird may nap during the day. It is possible and neccessary to give your bird 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Link #1

Link #2