Cage for a budgie? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Cage for a budgie?

I've been thinking about getting a budgie for quite awhile, I've started doing some research and stuff, anyway I've been looking at cages in different stores. They have one like this at a local store http://www.thepamperedpetmart.com/pa...OD/Prevue/3151 I really like it, but it says the bars 3/4" Is this too big for a budgie? What kind of cages do your birds have? I'd love to see pics of different set ups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I like the cage...remember though,budgies are fast flyers,so they'll definitely need out of cage time no matter how big the cage (unless you go overboard & make an indoor aviary out of a room or something I'm guessing,but i'd still let them out either way ) About bar spacing,i'm really not that sure...I've heard people say before it shouldn't be more than 1/2 an inch.& I can't remember what size mine was now since it's all taken apart... >.<

The cage is quite nice though I must say! Also when it comes to seed guards (things on the bottom there) make sure it goes all the way down,birds can also escape from there...

Another option though,is if you got a spare room,you can turn that into your aviary XD
I have a cockatiel,whom never did like cages.Loves to sleep in it,but close the door during the day& she gives you the look of death...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

So last night we were talking about cages and stuff again, and i told my boyfriend the that the bars on the cage we were looking at might be too far apart for a budgie... His answer, would anyone like to guess? Get a bigger bird.. lol. I still wanna budgie tho

I'll check about the seed guard going all the way down.. Do the seed guards actually help with the mess? I remember when we had birds when i was little we kept an old sheet draped over the side of the cage that had there food dishes to help keep them from getting seed everywhere, but it still kinda happened.
Also, do you think a budgie would use the little area on top of the cage? someone on a different forum said they prolly wouldn't, and said her bird spends most of its time on the floor.. but i wonder if this is just her bird?

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

When I had a budgie he liked play gyms& playing on top of his cage,just remember to get diff size perches (it exercises their feet) & don't use huge cockatiel size perches for budgies.There was a site I found online once& can't seem to find it at all now...gah,it showed how the budgies feet should look while on the perch.

Seed guards,I find do help...but i'd still have bits of food everywhere because my birds had free roam,but when they ate in their cage,they didn't make much of a mess at all.I solved the bits of food prob by having things under where they ate...then none on the floor,which was a plus!

My cockatiel is on a pellet diet,seeds are in treat form for her .

Last edited by candyraver; 05-20-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Tags
budgie, cages, parakeet