Cage Cleaning - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Wink Cage Cleaning

Deja's got a great idea for cleaning those cages....but I'll let her repsond in a reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Not fair.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

We have a huge cage with a playtop. This is the biggest size cage you can buy before getting into aviaries. So in other words, there are plenty areas that get covered with poop sculptures!

I have of course newspaper in the bottom of the cage but that's the easy part to clean & replace.

It's those bars & grates & the poop guard. We've been spraying the poop guard tray with PAM cooking oil. I know it sounds funny but it make poop removal MUCH easier and cuts cage cleaing time in half!

Once you have a clean cage........lightly spray the poop guards on the bottom and the grate in the cage with PAM. Take a papertowel and wipe them down. Leave a nice film on the guards & grate. Next time you go to clean you'll see how much easier it is!

It works great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

huh? what's wrong Jade?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You confused me. All I saw was "Deja's got a great idea for cleaning those cages....but I'll let her repsond in a reply!" and thought you were leaving us in suspense w/o posting your own!

8 hours of driving and 2am don't make a great combination!

Stephanie

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:36 AM
Miss New Booty

Wow!! Deja,how interesting!!! On all birds cages(tiels and keets), or just the big birdies? We just finished cleaning our cockatiels cage..yes we do cage cleaning at odd times, like 1 am if we feel like it! I definately want to try this!!!!:bfly: Where did u hear of this? Wow, the new things we learn!!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Here is Deja way:

This is so off topic for this thread but...
yanno what I got that is the *best* thing I ever bought to help me clean those cages? A hand held steam cleaner! It shoots a stream of steam that virtually melts the mess... all you have to do is wipe it up. Then I just go over it with my usual disinfectant cleaner - shoot some more steam- and wipe it all down dry. It's fast, gets into all the hard to reach places, and the cages sparkle. (for about 2 minutes- after I put them back in

quoted from hedgie forum thread
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

As far as using it on cages for smaller birds...you'll have to use your judgement. Do they climb all the way down their cages? Do you have a particular area where they poop alot?

You have to remember that macaws can lay some pretty big bombs that are hard to clean up if they sit for any amount of time. I used to have to scrape it off with a knife - ick! But now with the PAM in particular areas it comes right off...we love it! My hubby came up with the idea!!

Jade, I guess she went off line - so I posted it for her. Sorry to confuse you!

Deja, tell us more about how you steam clean....where did you get the steam cleaner? how does it work? was it expensive? Tell me more girlie!!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 02:33 AM
Miss New Booty

Ooppps Im a looney. I misread and since JG said "Deja has a great idea" I saw the next reply and didn't see who really wrote it, you JG! That is so cool how your hubby came up with that idea! My cockatoos cage grate can be pretty gross sometimes, mostly in the middle, same spot like u said. Well, my parakeets cage isn't so bad, but the cockatiel grate was getting nasty in the middle, and its SOO hard to get the grate out, the way the cage is designed...why do they have to make it so difficult! The pam sounds like a great idea! We are using some bird type sponge thing, I don't really know how to describe it... we got it at the bird store and it specially made not to take the finish off the cages, etc. (we have the big california cage for Ang) But I want to try this pam. Ohhh a steam cleaner, how interesting too!!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 02:54 AM

That's a great idea!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 03:09 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm still here!!

The Pam idea is fantastic!!! I am going to definately try that!!
It makes perfect sense... the guano bombs won't stick!

OK the steamer...
I was in Costco and saw it, and the thought just hit me... it would be perfect to steam clean the cages! Dante is small, but his cage is huge... not as big as Toby's I'm sure... but it's big enough for a large Cockatoo. Daphne had the same size cage... Dweezil's cage is pretty big for a Cockatiel cage as well... so cleaning them is a project.

It cost about $40.00 (if I remember right)... I know it wasn't too expensive or I wouldn't have snatched it up. It's made by Eureka. I'm sure I can find it on-line... I'll post a link.

Anyway... I was right! It's perfect, and because it's steam, it disinfects as it cleans. I usually knock the big petrified mountains off by hand before I start shooting the steam.
I remove the tray too...
You can shoot the steam right onto the crusties and it melts everything away. The steam gets into the corners and the places that are a total pain in the buttocks to scrub by hand. You can even shoot the steam onto an area for as long as it takes to melt it clean.
I wipe with paper towels as I go. I do the perches too. I have several manzanita (sp??) wood perches in different shapes and sizes and one cement perch in each cage... The steam cleans those wooden branch perches perfectly! It's so much easier than having to unscrew everything every single time I clean- and soak them in the sink, then scrub them UGH.

Once I have the entire cage steam cleaned I go over it with a disinfectant cleaner and scrubbie sponge... just to remove what was left behind... then to rinse the disinfectant... I just blast it with steam again.. and wipe it all down dry.

I steam the tray - wipe it dry, replace the paper... and it's good to go!
Every so often I do unscrew and take everything out - and put the toys in the dishwasher. But I used to have to do that every time ... and ick what a nasty time consuming chore.
The steamer has really made a huge difference. It cut the cleaning time in half... at least!

Now with the Pam... I can only imagine how much easier it will be still!

The best cage I have is Dweezil's - it's a California cage, and I wish I could afford one the same size as the one I have now for Dante. It's the easiest cage in the world to clean. On that cage... the steam just blasts through everything... sooo easy.

[center]

[
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Cool! Where do I get this steam cleaner machine? How much did it cost ya?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 10:17 AM

I have a super power steam cleaner that I was talked into buying from a friend. She told me she uses it for everything. And yes I bought it from Home Shopping Network Anyhow, it just blasts particles out of all the cracks. I use it on my window sills to get rid of all of the spiders and their little meal packages, the bird cages and most importantly anything that needs to be sterilized. I love that thing.

I never thought about using pam on the grate. I use lubricant spray in the cat litter boxes so it doesn't stick to the bottom - the same concept I guess.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

I saw those too Dena & was gonna get one & forgot the # to call for it
Anyway.... those are awsome ideas!! I betcha the steam idea would be good for the ferrets cage too!!! tell me where to find it Deja!!!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I found my steamer in Costco...Ithink it was around $40.00...but I have had it for a couple of years. I'm going to Google it and see if I can find it on-line....I'll post a link in a few....

[center]

[

Tags
bird cage, cage cleaning, litter box, litter boxes