cages - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

cages

Does anyone know where I can get a 24x24x24 bird cage? I would make one but I would like to be able to have those food cup access openings that store bought cages have. Thanks, sorry for all the questions! LOL.
~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

What kind of bird do you want the cage for (if you don't mind me asking ) ?

I can dig up a few good links with lots of variety... I'll get on it

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 07:07 PM

Safeguard cages have nice cages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 06:53 AM

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 07:26 AM

There are tons of online site that sell cages. I would suggest doing a google search for "______ bird cages" Just put in the kind of bird you are getting.

I got my cage from: Island Cages
You would probably want the "monico" style. They have reasonable prices and Island Cages are some of the best. I ordered online and never had a problem.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

It'll be for a cockatiel (eventually, LOL) so I want it to be fairly big, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it, LOL. Thanks.
~Jenn

Edited to add: Sorry, guys but these cages are way too bulky and expensive! LOL. I'm just wanting something like a budgie cage, only bigger. Probably doesn't exist, right? Hehe.

~ MY ZOO ~
2 shelties - Blaze & Pandy

1 orange tabby - Max

2 guinea pigs - Peaches and Calli
1 chipmunk - Theodore (Teddy)

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax

Last edited by JennLin22; 12-14-2003 at 12:35 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 12:39 PM

Well, a cockatiel shouldn't be kept in a budgie cage. That's why there are different size cages for different size birds. You need to get a cage made for a cockatiel.

Cages aren't cheap, neither is having a bird. You will need to be prepared to put out some money. Are you sure you're ready for a bird?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

I agree with Jodi. If you want a cage that size, you will have to put out some $$$$$$. A 24x24x24 cage is almost the size my Pionus and my Hahn's macaw's cages. No, they were not cheap.

You probably won't find such a thing as "budgie cage, only bigger" with that description.

They do make cockatiel cages, larger than budgie cages, but smaller than what you are looking for.

try http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

They have cockatiel sized cages.

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

In my opinion 24x24x24 is WAY to small for a cockatiel.

I built my cage by hand and it is 4 ft tall x 3 ft wide x 2 1/2 ft deep. Granted I have 2 tiels but still more is better. To be honest if you were to put a tiel in that small of a cage it would be like locking you up in a 6ft x 10ft cell to live. I'm sure you would feel you don't have adiquit space as would the bird. JMO
If yhou don't have enough space for a larger cage appropriate for a tiel than I personally would think about waiting to get one or else think about getting a smaller bird like a finch or something which requires a smaller cage.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I have to agree with Jodi, Critter, Kay and Boo - I have Dweezil, my 'tiel in a California cage (best cage that I own IMO) that is roughly 42" tall (including legs on casters - not including the play gym on top) X 36" (pardon my approximations I am not in there with a measure)

My point being - 'tiels need much more than a budgie cage. They need enough room for toys, multi sized perches and enough room to fully extend their wings and flap without getting injured.

Kay's cage that she built, is just about the greatest 'tiel cage I've seen! They have room to actually fly in there- she built them the most amazing aviary!
Bigger is always better - the more room they have the more variety they can be exposed to in the form of perches, toys... you also need to be aware of the bars and spacing.

***Edited to add: Sorry, guys but these cages are way too bulky and expensive! LOL. I'm just wanting something like a budgie cage, only bigger. Probably doesn't exist, right? Hehe.***

Well, you really need to take the whole package into condiseration. Yes, my cages are big- bulky? I suppose that would be up for debate. What I think I hear you saying is that you want the bird but you don't want to (or can't afford to) follow through on a vital part of his care- housing.
No one is trying to beat you up over this - just point out - a Budgie cage "or something like it" is not the best choice for a cockatiel.
Yes, mine cost me upfront but I knew when I got the bird a good cage was going to be part of the cost. One of the benefits of the California cage is that it's such a breeze to clean. Nothing sticks!
It also has angled food guards that attach to each side and 2 extra trays - to put on top of the bird's cage area under the play gym making for easy clean-up when he's up there goofing around.

In any case - look around and make sure you choose wisely- we can't get a bird and then skimp on any part of the care involved.
Improper housing can make for a potentially dangerous situation for your fid in terms of safety, not enough "wing span" room, room to move with ease around the entire cage... etc.

Good Luck

[center]

[
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Relax, guys, I'm not gonna put a cockatiel in a budgie cage, LOL. I was just saying how I like the budgie cages with the food dish doors, but obviously I would need one bigger than that. I definitely agree that an average cockatiel cage is too small, which is why I was looking for a bigger one. Looks like I'll be better off making one myself.
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~

1 orange tabby - Max

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 06:34 PM

I just recently got a cockatiel and I have her in the midwest 2020 cage along with the stand...here is the link where I got it from......
http://www.pet-expo.com/cgi-bin/FULL...PARTNUM=MW2020
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 09:24 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Jinn the cage I built (http://forums.paw-talk.net/showthrea...threadid=14801) only cost me around 45.00 or so for all the materials (that's probably even a little high) If you are only getting one bird then of course you can make it smaller, shorter, wider or whichever would fit your situation best! (which would of course cost less too!)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 06:11 PM

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Brenda-yeah I've seen those cages before. Very nice but still smaller than I want.
Kay-yeah, I saw your cage in that thread. Very cool!
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~

1 orange tabby - Max

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax

Tags
bird cage, pet supplies