"Cagey" Bird - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool "Cagey" Bird

Frosty is learning how to take out the metal rod that is used to secure the flight door on her cage. Sneaky little rascal! I'll hear the cage rattle and look and it will be unhooked at the bottom - but she has yet to figure out how to get it all the way out!

Time to go buy some metal clips to put on there.....

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 01:44 PM

LOL Smarter than you think, huh? LOL Before ya know it you'll come in the room and Frosty will be on top of his cage just lookin at ya saying "what, mom?" !!! ROTFL

Sharon (she's the one with the B&G Eephus) was telling me on Sunday that Eephus was feeding himself with a spoon! Isn't that cute?? Toby just throws the spoon across the room if I give him one!

What other funny things does Frosty do?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:10 PM

awwww too cute! You may have an escape rtist on your hands!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Frosty eats and drinks out of a dish and cries when he sees me. He is learning to whistle (leading to the belief that he's a male instead of a female). And he screams bloody murder when Bubba walks in the door!

Real fun trick bird, huh?

(Henry, on the other hand, was muttering about something earlier and said "Oh,Lord". I don't think I say that and don't think Bub does either - but you never know 'til you hear it come back at you out of a bird or kid's mouth! Did sound more like Bubba's voice.)

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 05:25 PM

LOL too funny
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 08:24 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Boy oh boy - once Eephus figures out how to get the doors to his food dishes open from the inside, he'll be out ! He tries and tries, and he can squeeze thru the opening .... I may be in trouble LOL

Here he is eating his sweet potato mash ...

Sharon
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 07:43 AM

Holding his own spoon that is just to cute
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

TV watching was kind of desperate around here last night and we found ourselves flipping between Star Search and Animal Stars. (We know how to have fun!). There was a little girl on the Animal show who had a Catalina macaw and said it was called that because it was from the Catalina Islands. I was sitting there yelling at the TV "It's a hybrid! Don't your parents tell you anything?" but my husband kindly reminded me of the fact that she was only 8 years old . . . . . . . .

Macaw owners, what are your thoughts on the hybrid macaws?

CRITTERCALL

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 03:04 PM

Good subject! I've read so much negative about "hybrids" - and I can't fully understand it. Far as I can tell, they're not using any birds that are endangered (maybe I'm wrong here?). "Wasting" an endangered species on hybrids (such as the "liger") is something I think isn't right, but I look at it this way - there are SO MANY "throw away" birds, especially the bigger ones, to be had (my Eephus is one of them), and I found so many different breeders when I was looking on the web trying to get ideas of price ... there seems to not be a shortage of B&g's or Greenwingeds etc. So, I don't see any harm in crossing them. These hybrids, from what I hear, have a personality all their own, and just look at Jodi's Toby - he's absolutely stunning. There's so much ugliness in the world right now, why not add a little more beauty ?
So, to get up on my soap box for a second ... to those who are so negative about these hybrids, I suggest focusing on a much more serious problem in the world of parrots: that being the plight of
all these throw-away and/or neglected and abused birds.
Stepping down, and shutting up ....

Sharon
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Good points, Sharon - will be interested in Jodi's comments.

I have issues with the people of Australia who treat cockatiels, Cockatoos and even the rose-breasted cockatoos as "nuisance animals" and are allowed to poison them or kill them however they choose. I guess I'd feel differently if I were a farmer and my crop was destroyed by these birds, but seems like there should be some better way to deal with this problem! Do you have any idea how much money you can pay for a rose-breasted? More than I've seen a lot of B&G's go for! (And who in my family is saying "why doesn't Nana get us one of those?)

CRITTERCALL

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 02:18 AM

What's this hybrid thing about? Hybrid macaws?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I can't remember the exact mutations. One is to breed a B&G to a Green Wing, or a B&G to a military. Somebody help me on this one!

I know a lot of breeders who think it is the most heinous thing that you can do. But there are probably a lot of birds who won't breed outside their species. (I've never heard of hybrid Amazons.)

CRITTERCALL

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 10:32 AM

Ummmm ... I think the "Catalina" is a scarlet crossed with B&G, and a Harlequin (like Toby) is a greenwinged crossed with a B&G. I'm sure there are more that haven't been "named". If anyone watches PetStar on Animal Planet, "Rio" was introduced as simply "a macaw" and he was definately a hybrid.

I never heard of the cockatoo/cockatiel issue - wow! From what I've seen, cockatoos cost almost twice as much as B&G macaws. There are so many species that are considered "nuisance" animals, wonder if anyone stopped to think, certain humans are the REAL nuisance animals - the ones destroying habitats etc. If they'd dig down and find the root of the problem and deal with that instead of trying to deal with the result ...

Sorry - LOL - i need to put my soap box away ! Some of this stuff just gets my blood boiling !

Sharon
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 05:19 PM

Hi y'all. Uh oh, I've got a lot to say on this subject....

Yep, Toby's a hybrid. He's a Harlequin which is a Greenwing & a B&G. (Catalina is a Scarlet & a B&G) When we decided we wanted a macaw and started looking at the different kinds we didn't say oh we have to have a hybrid. It just happened. At the breeder we decided to buy from at this particular time she had either a B&G or a Harley available. Well, we spent about a week and a half with both the birds before Toby picked us. He was the most affectionate, responsive, etc, etc, etc. We knew we would hear slack from people that we are "supporting the hybrid industry" but the way I see it is if we didn't buy Toby someone else would've so why not us??!!

The "usual" reason people are concerned about hybrids is they don't want to lose the purity of the breed. And of course breeding hybrids takes away from that. So in the long run breeding hybrids in huge numbers is not a good idea. BUT that fact is that there are already hybrids out there that need homes. Toby was already born....I didn't ask for him to be bred. There is a big difference. Ya know?

There are SO many more important things in this world to worry about! If someone wants to give me crap over my bird being a hybrid.....I'm not even listening. I don't mean to sound rude but.....give me a break!! I did have a lady say something [email protected]@ to me at a petstore about Toby...I just looked at her and walked away. (I never think of good comebacks until I get home!! - Don't ya hate that??)

Jeez, some people are so judgemental about it too. Like I'm just a horrible person. And I should feel guilty. blah blah blah.

All I know is that I love my little buddy and wouldn't trade him for the world.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 05:20 PM

BTW Sharon.........I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
animal planet, endangered species, food dishes, pet store