Can you ever have enough??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool Can you ever have enough???

We took the FIDS to the breeder to board for a few days. I'm going to see Zoe and Bubba has a meeting which requires that he stay at one of the really nice hotels at Universal for 2 nights, so I get to take the dogs & cat to board on Tuesday but he has to pick everybody up AND hand feed Sweets until Monday!!

The breeder had some new birds that were really awesome. A Major Mitchell's Cockatoo (seen pictures, never touched & felt 'til today), she has three baby rose breasted 'too's that are absolutely adorable.

But the one that got Bubba and me was a Blue and Gold. Not a baby - they aren't sure of his exact age. The former owner asked them to sale him for them because they are afraid of him. They think it is actually a "her" - she's kind of small and has obviously not been fed a good diet. The previous owners had not paid enough attention to her so she could call their bluff easily by growling at them.

Of course Bubba couldn't stand it - he had to get her out of the cage. OHHHH,she snuggled and loved on him then he handed her to me and she did the same thing. Fish hooks all around! The bird has a potential buyer, but I told the breeder that if she let this guy have the bird I'd lose all my faith in her. He hasn't even paid a deposit on the bird and has made arrangements about 5 times to pick it up and has failed to show up each time. He was supposed to be there today while we were there and called and said he was "stranded" and wouldn't have a way to get there until Friday.

Bubba told her that next time he calls tell her we've put a deposit on the bird and not let him have it. She agrees that missing one appt is forgivable, but not to keep on and on and on.

It's kind of ironic because Bub has always wanted a blue and gold, but we've never gone in that direction. As I said, this one is small compared to hers (and his name is Dane - that would have to go!!) and we could actually get this one for less than I paid for the Gray. And he/she isn't a screamer.

Macaw owners - it's your job to talk me out of this!!! I already have 4 birds! (And yes, I need to post a pic of Sweets since he has wing feathers now.)

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 10:31 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

You can never have too many!!! (Well unless you are one of those people the humane society have to raid....then you have too many :p )

The poor baby sounds like it needs a good home and if the other guy can't make the time to pick her up then he probably isn't going to have the time to give her the loving either is he. Of course he could be making the excuse cause he doesn't have the money either.

Which ever way you should go get her

Catherine
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 10:43 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

OMG, Critter!! I absolutely will not, can not, no way-no how, talk you out of this ... you'll never regret taking her in, but you'll always wonder "what if" if you decide against it.
I'll tell ya - besides being so much fun, and so entertaining - Eephus is great therapy. No way can you be down when you're around him - he's a little clown, and sooo loveable ... And from what I've read, that's just typical of a B&G.
I know you know how good it feels to rescue - and that's pretty much what this would be ... I say don't think twice !

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:40 AM

LOL Critter! You came to the wrong place to be talked out of it!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:25 AM

I agree - there's no way I'm gonna talk you out of it!!! LOL You will NOT regret it. They are the greatest birds and you know Bubba's wanted one! I know you already have 4 and blah blah blah BUT I say - go get him/her!! You'll definately fall in love with the personality. And you're a perfect couple to rescue him/her!!

You must keep us updated!!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Well, it's a done deal. Bubba will pick her (the breeder thinks) up when he gets the rest of the FIDS. Just have to keep Henry in his room away from everyone else. He's already been put in "time out" (actually moved from the bird room to the living room) because other birds make him nervous!

Will post a pic of him as soon as I get back from KY!! And I've already told Bubba that the name has got to go. No wonder he wouldn't act right with a name like that! (This from the person who named a bird after someone on this board!!)

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:54 PM

:blob1: :blob3: :blob5: :blob2: :blob6:

WOO - HOOOO !!!

Great news, just awesome. You and Bubba are going to have oh-so-much fun with her, I can't wait to have someone else to share stories with!
OMG - I'm so excited for you :rollsmile This is sooooo GREAT!!

Sharon
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

We've been talking about her tonight. We're excited too. She's a bit on the small side for a macaw but that's okay. I think with some love and good food she'll fatten up a bit.

I told Bub the name has to go (I think I suggested Gonzo because we were watching American Idol and they mentioned that being Clay's nickname at one time) - so Bub counters with "Well, Mojo isn't much of a name either". The previous owner named her Dane - as in Great Dane.

You can come visit anytime you want - and help clean cages!!

CRITTERCALL

Last edited by Crittercall; 05-19-2003 at 08:53 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:01 PM

With this weather here, I'd do more than clean cages for a chance to go to Florida! :beam:

Shouldn't take much to fatten her up, Eephus (far as I could tell) was underweight when he got here, and it didn't take him long to fatten up. I just wish I knew where to find an inexpensive gram scale ... I have no idea what he weighs.

Gonzo kinda sounds like strictly a boys name - makes me think of Trapper John - I don't watch American Idol. Sound like an old fogey, don't I ?? If I was to ever get a female bird, I'd lean toward old fashioned names, like Mildred, Gertrude, etc. That's just me though, and I'm awful with names ! My boss let me name a puppy we're keeping for breeding - she wanted a "B" name, so I named her Beatrice .

I think it's great that she likes you and Bubba both. That's how Eephus is, and I hear a lot of stories of macaws who like only one or the other. Eephus actually favors Greg over me, but I'm the main "care giver". Any idea at all how old she is ?? I know I'd be doin' some tracking and researchin' trying to find out.

OMG - I can't wait to see pics and read some good stories about her!! Keep us updated!!

Sharon
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

:blob2: Congratulations Critter! :blob2: I'm so happy that you guys are getting her. There was no way I was going to try to talk you out of it, that's for sure! She (or he) NEEDS you!

As for the name, girl, we need to talk! Gonzo? Isn't that the ugly little guy from the muppets with the incredibly long nose?

Rhonda

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 11:05 PM

Hey the name of the member is a truly awesome name for an awesome bird! Congrats on the soon to be new fid!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 09:07 AM

OMG OMG OMG Critter - I'm so happy for you & Bubba. How exciting!! You're gonna be a mama again!

I agree, we need ALL the details & pictures!! Are you gonna have him/her sexed?

This is so exciting.....when exactly are you going to pick your fid up?

Sharon, Can you stop & pick me up on the way to florida????? We can tell Greg & Kenny we're doing "research"! LOL

Scarlette - that was the first thing I thought of when I saw Gonzo!!! LOL

BTW Sharon, I bought a gram scale at Walmart for about $30. Kenny made a small perch for Toby to sit on on the scale. I'll post a pic when I get my home computer up & running.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

For Sweets I've been putting a plastic bowl on the gram scale. It will "zero out" so that it dismisses the weight of the container. Problem now is Sweets is getting too big for the bowl - and too young to know how to perch!

Bub will either pick up the birds on Friday - or he may wait 'til I get home on Monday to get them. He isn't secure in his hand-feeding ability, but he doesn't know how empty this house is without those guys either!

Okay, Gonzo was just an off the cuff suggestion. I'll get to know her first and something will click. And if she refuses a new name, I guess she'll just be Dane. Love the bird, not the name. That's the most important part.

CRITTERCALL

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:44 PM

I cannot believe you have adopted all of these birdies. I am so jealous!!!!! We need pictures!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

You'll have pix when I return. Right now the house is eerily silent with dogs and cat in the kennel and the birds all gone and Bubba not here. If someone yelled "BOO" I'd come off this chair!

Look for pix sometime after Memorial Day.

CRITTERCALL

Tags
humane society