Choices, Choices...Choices - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Ace23

Choices, Choices...Choices

I want a bird! lol Im looking for a friendly one, one i can sit n watch tv n stuff with. But i dont know what kind of bird is good for that, you know? Any sugestions? (i cant spell, lol sorry)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 02:39 PM

Hi Ace! When it comes to birds there are lots of choices...and those choices depend on several factors. (money, room, time, bird experience, your life style, what you want in a bird, etc.) Why don't you give us a better idea of your situation then we might be able to give you some ideas!

Some birds are a lot more work/time than others but they can still be just a lovable and make great friends!! Lots of birds will love to sit and cuddle with you and watch TV...they just like to be with ya!

So, tell us more about you & your situation....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Ace23

Okay. Im 13. So i have school during the day from sep-july. Im a surfer so i am usually gone in the morning. And dont usually go out until 6, and cerfew is 11. I've had 2 birds before, but they were my brothers and didnt like to be handled. But i babysit my neighbor's love bird next door, so i have experience with cleaning, feeding, ect. I have room in my bedroom, and expences are no limit because its a birthday present. As for the bird itself i want one thats gonna hang out with me, and easy to tame, one that wants to be handled. Is that enough? lol, so what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'd suggest that you start kind of small. A senegal parrot is a great little buddy, most of them talk, love to be your friend.

A lot of it depends on how they are raised from the start. Try to get a bird from a breeder and not from a pet store. Cockatiels are usually great birds in the smaller bird category (I'm thinking smaller just because you said you enjoyed the lovebird.)

The biggest problem with a mid-size bird (i.e. conure) is that they are one of the noisiest birds you can choose. They scream at everything and nothing. I had a male who was a good little guy (except all that screaming) 'til he hit puberty, then he didn't want anything to do with me.

Do lots of research on the internet before you make your choice. Several of us have birds (I have 4) and will be glad to help you if you have questions about certain breeds. I'm not saying I personally know everything, but between us, we bird people can usually find one of us that has experience with a certain type of bird. (I worked in an aviary for a while too.)

If you go a bit bigger the Orange Wing Amazon is a nice bird - there are bigger Amazons, but this is not the smallest of the breed. Again, most of the way the bird acts is going to be determined if and how he was handfed and how much time the breeder spent with him.

Just don't let him slide while you are doing other things! You can quickly get on the bird's bad side if you ignore him for a few days while you are out doin' your thing at school, surfing, etc. Make sure that you are willing to give up some of the time spent doing other things to spend adequate time with the bird.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Ace23

*could you tell me how to locate a breeder in my area? Im starting to think about those love birds..

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 07:01 AM

I think a lovebird would be an excellent choice! And they are SO cute and lots of fun!!

Where are you located? You can get a birdtalk magazine and look in the back under breeders. They list breeders by state.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Ace23

Im in suffolk county, longisland Ny.
Thanks for your help, i think a lovebird is exactly what i'll get! i'll keep you updated on how it goes.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Princess in Waiting

Another option would be to go into Google.com and put in Bird Shows in the search window (or maybe Bird Shows in your state). That will give you a site listing all the upcoming bird shows in your area and you could go take a look around at a plethora of birds.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
pet store