Cockatiel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Cockatiel

I am thinking about getting a cockatiel, my boyfriend really wants a pet and loves birds, and i haven't ever had one and out like to

I'm in the process of researching, and they seam like really cool birds. I'm having some problems finding where to get one though...

Since i have never had a bird i want to get one that has been handfed or is already started in the taming process. I think petco sells them but i'm not sure i want to get a bird from a store... Unless that is my only option. I'm going to get a new cage for my iguana so that means that i will have a cage for a bird, plus it is HUGE for a bird, (27" deep x 60" tall x 33" wide) or (27 x 30 x 33) if i just have half of it until its tame.

any tips for taming and such would be great

OR anyone wanting to get rid of a cockitiel in iowa let me know

I was wondering what the average price was for one, i would like a younger one or really tame.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 AM

I had one about 15 years ago...I remember my mom bought it for me from a smaller pet store in the area. I think this is you best bet. I dont really trust the bigger chains.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I was wondering what the average price was for one, i would like a younger one or really tame.
The average price here for a tame tiel is about 65 and up(depending on what type of tiel), from a reputable breeder.

If you look in the local paper(recycler, pennysaver) you can find them for less though but they probably will not be tame. I have never got a bird from petco or petsmart. I think they do not house them right.

Check Freecycle in your area too (Freecycle.com) I got two tiels for free from a lady who was needing to find a home for her tiels cuz she was going out of state. They were not tame but they are friendly. She got lotz of response but chose me after I told her why I thought I would make a good bird mama. I posted about them here before...Chipper and Dale.

It is easier to buy a bird that is already tame but you may also buy a young tiel that is not hand tamed yet and work with him. That is what I did with my first tiel. He was 10 weeks old and not tame at all. But within a short amount of time and patience working with him he became a loveable bird who is tame and sweet.

Make sure to do good research before you go get a tiel. They are not too difficult to care for but have certain requirements just like any other pet and I know you want to do the right things and keep your tiel healthy.

PM me with any questions. I have had tiels for a long time and I love them all.

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm doing my research and my boyfriend has had them before but he got his in another country so he doesn't know much about finding them here. I would like to get a young bird that isn't tame but i don't think i want to try to tame an older bird that is used to not being tame or with another bird for years. I don't think i am up for that for my first bird.

Freecyle never has anything for around here that i can find. and no shelters have tiels close either. I found some with in a few hours but they all have friends and i wont a solo bird at least at first to get it to love me. hehe. i wouldn't mind getting 2 if they are already tame-ish.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
cockatiel, pet store, reputable breeder, research