cockatiel has a peg leg - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy cockatiel has a peg leg

I adopted two cockatiels from a family whose son was allergic. I got the cockatiels home and realized the female has one leg. The previous owner said that it was born like that and not to worry. Today i came home and there was blood in the cage. It seems that her peg leg is bleeding. Any advise would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The best advice I could give you on something like that is to get her to an Avian Vet as soon as you can.
In the meantime if it is bleeding still you can pat some flour on it to help stop any bleeding.

But the best thing to do is let an Avian Vet look at it especially if it is still bleeding and you can see it it coming from her leg. Too much bleeding can make any bird very weak quickly and it can end up being fatal. Do you see the bleeding coming from her leg or is it coming from her wings(blood feather)?
How old is the cockatiel... just wondering.

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

the bleeding actually stopped after 5 minutes... she is 9 months...i also noticed it was not the pegged leg bleeding it was actually her other foot the back of it looks a little deformed too...it looks rough,clumped,sandpaper like....i just don't know much and am not sure if i should trust previous owners word that it is o.k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

That is good to hear that the bleeding stopped

About the problem foot...if you could post a picture of the foot your talking it would help to be able to see what your seeing.
Sounds like her feet may be in bad shape maybe due to not having the right type of perches for her feet?? It is good to provide different kinds of perches of varying widths and material (wooden, rope etc.) so that they can properly get the right excercise for their feet and thus avoid problems like this.

I hope this isnt the case but she could also be malnourished?? What kind of diet is she being fed? Does she eat veggies along with seed? Pellets? How is the other tiel doing? Are they male and female, always shared the same cage? Sorry for all the questions..hehe. I am curious

Are these your first cockatiels??
Even if these are not your first here is a really good website... http://www.cockatielcottage.net/ If it is your first pair of tiels you will find useful info I am sure you can use.

I am here too as well to be of help. I have 7 tiels (3 since they were eggs..hehe). I also have a pair of parakeets that are nesting and so far have 2 chicks hatched, 2 to go.
All my birds are tame and incredibly spoiled! I love them that way!

Lve Never Fails

Last edited by luvnature; 12-08-2008 at 04:44 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i have no one here to snap a pic while i hold her...i tried to get one but you really couldn't see. She eats a seed and pellet diet. I have tried feeding veggies but they refuse to eat them. One is male and one female. They are my first tiels. They are not very friendly and the male does get a little agressive at times with her....he nips at her when someone gets close to cage. She eats very well so i don't think she is malnourished. I have tried googling pegged legs and tiels born that way and have not come across anything yet. So i resulted to this web hoping someone has seen this before. I am going to take her to vet. I want to make sure they are healthy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Keep offering her veggies each day. She will get curious and try them, hopefully.
I give mine cilantro and shredded carrots. They also like to each broccoli tops. Keep trying.

Take a look at that website link I posted. They have a forum/message board there and I know if you posted there they will gladly help you with any questions you pose. It is a very good tiel site. They have helped me when I was new to tiels, with diet questions, behavior and also when they were nesting.
Tell them Monique sent you and that Gonzo, PeeWee, Puff and Lard (yes, Lard..hehe) say hello. They are the chicks that I raised since they hatched.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

i would get the feets cheked out, if its clumped and bleeding its maybe infekted? make sure there is a flat plase in the cage so she dont have to stand on her one leg allthe time. try offer veggies for a long time in diffrent ways like try cut the veggies into tiny tiny peice thats the only way my bird will eat it.birds are so inteligent and great personality have fun with them!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, that is a good idea If the cage has a grate on the bottom you can place newspaper down on the bottom of it so that it is easier for her to walk along the bottom instead of hopping on one foot all the time.

Tags
avian vet, peg legged cockatiel