Cockatiel laying eggs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool Cockatiel laying eggs

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and that you guys get tired of hearing about Frosty (I know I do!) but this is an issue I think someone here had at one time and I haven't found an answer yet.

She is laying eggs like crazy. At first it was on a regular schedule, now it has started to be almost constantly. I'm of the opinion that it has something to do with the amount of light vs darkness, but I'm not sure what we need to do. (Can you believe this bird lives an 8 hour drive from me?)

Any help to be found out there???

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Here's the best I can come up with.....hope it helps, this guy is my vet.

Chronic egg laying

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:45 PM

a cert avian vet can give the cockteil a hot to reduce and stop the egg laying foir a a while i know im going to have ot do this with a parakeet in about 18 days she wont stop either and now would be the time . when i call ill find out what the shot is called reduce her day light hours to 4 hours a day move cage around take out some toys add new toys in completely up set her routine for a while it might help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Miss New Booty

Very good link Dani! When I clicked it, it didn't take me right to it for some reason? I went to the side and clicked care and then controlling unwanted egg laying. Very great article!!!

Snowy, my parakeet is an egg layer. Some of the things in the article my vet went over with me, too. She would get in this cycle, get ready to lay eggs, lay them for a week (maybe even 6 eggs) and sit on them for a week, only coming up to potty/eat/drink. It was so sad! My vet said she was a chronic egg layer. He said to make sure she was covered alot more, my vet stressed that with Snowy. Does Frosty have a cuttlebone or a mineral block? My birds dont really like the cuttlebone but the mineral blocks are good, too, for the calcium. I said to my vet "What if we get her a friend?" He said it probably wouldn't do anything. After awhile of watching her like this, we decided to get Casper. She stopped laying eggs for awhile! She still lays eggs but she kinda got out of that cycle she was in.

I hope things improve with Frosty. Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Jackie, thanks for pointing that out, regarding the "not direct" link.

Yah, you have to go to the left side of the page, click on "care articles" and then about 3 or 4 down, is the Chronic Egg Laying article.

Don't want you to get "lost" on that site.

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Miss New Booty

Thanks Dani! First I thought I was doing something wrong! That is a very awesome site, lots of great information!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 02:05 PM

Hi, I use to have cockatiels. Infact I grew up with them. My dad was a big fan of birds, and it passed down to me. But now i have ferrets, so no more birds for now.

I had two females that use to lay unfertile eggs. They were both around 5-6 years when they started laying them. Some start the minute they are mature enough while other may start after a few years of having them. According to books that I have read, this isn't uncommon. Some females lay unfertile eggs, and usually its every 6 months, one egg every other day. Some birds lay 3 eggs while other can lay up to 6. The important thing to worry about is egg binding! Thats why your vet reccommended mineral blocks and cuddle bones. I also recommend vitamen supplements for your bird!

Egg binding is when the egg dosn't pass through the canal and gets stuck and can crack in thier body and can lead to death if it dosn't come out. As for the laying of eggs, the one book I read said you should leave the eggs in the cage for about a week or two and then take them away, if you take the eggs away to soon, they might try to replace the eggs and could die doing so. Also, you could replace the real eggs with fake ones (try craft stores). If you have a male bird with your female, and you think they may be fertile eggs, you can always poke holes at both ends of the egg and blow the yolk out to prevent any unwanted babies. I don't recommend not to breed cockatiels unless you know what your doing, have the proper tools and have talked to a vet!

It isn't uncommon for them to hang around thier eggs and sit on them for hours, they usually share the work with thier male partners. Usually they don't set on them for long hours untill the last egg is layed untill then, they may just lay the eggs and pay no attention to them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Thanks for all the help. I fear egg binding, too, but they can't very find a very good bird vet in Chatt. I'll read the other article when I'm a bit more awake - but thanks ahead of time for sending it.

I've already told Mom most of these things, but it is good to have second (third, forth, etc.) opinions!! One thing I don't think I mentioned is that Frosty was not a year old yet when she started laying. The last group (4 eggs) she left in for 2 weeks then Mom just took them all out at once. I cringed!!

This is what I got her for C'mas last year and now I'm having some majorly second thoughts about it!!

Thanks - I'll keep you UTD on what happens.

CRITTERCALL

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 01:14 PM

Birds mature fast, and can have babies as soon as 9 mos! They don't take long at growing up, thats probably why there is so many of them, because they don't waste any time and can live for 10 years and usually longer. So, it wouldn't suprise me if your bird started laying eggs before she was a year old.

Here are some Links below to help you find a good Vet for your Bird.

A listing of Avian Vets By State...

This is a Search Engine for Avian Vets

A list of links on a webpage to help find a Avian Vet!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Thanks - I'll read those and send them to Mom or read what I think she'll understand to her. Darned white faced bird - the breeder, the pet store owner where we had her nails done and I all thought this bird was a male. Hard to tell when they are all white - but we know now. I told Mom we could get some pretty good money out of her! (Except Mom and Dad are so crazy about her I couldn't do that!)

Good news today is that Frosty voluntarily pushed one egg out of the nest area last night while they were asleep. I asked Mom if she took it out. Her response? No, she's not ready to. Can you say stubborn!!!!

Thanks again

CRITTERCALL

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 07:34 AM

Red face Egg Laying

I have a parrotlet who began laying eggs at the age of three months. She continuely laid eggs even though I reduced her amount of daylight hours. I was really worried because she was starting to look bad and was neglecting her preening, not to meantion, she was not eating properly. I took her to UGA Veterinary clinic who suggested one thing I had not tried and that was to remove any and all snuggly items from her cage. (She had a little tent that she slept in and was using it to nest in) I removed the tent, so she began using the paper towels that I lined the bottom of her cage with. I removed them and the egg laying stopped. She's not laid an egg in over a year now. The UGA vet explained that snuggly things were giving her a "nesting instinct" I don't know if your Mom's cockatiel has anything cuddly and inviting in her cage, but if she does, you might want to try removing it and see if that helps. If not, an avian vet is your best bet! Good luck with your FID!
~Kathy~
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:43 AM

my grandparents used to raise cockatiels, they had over 300 at any time. We had one that just kept laying eggs, we tried taking her out of the cage, removing the nest box, putting her with just females, everything just kept laying, we took the eggs and put them in an incubater, we had a friend who had raised all types of birds for years take some and help us raise them. We finally found a vet that was good with birds, he actually wanted her, so we let him have her. He got her to stop laying and still has her she is about 17yrs old right now. He told me the last time we took the dogs in for shots that she was still doing great. She ended up laying around 45 eggs before she stopped and everyone of them hatched and lived.

Tags
avian vet, lay eggs, nest box, pet store