Cockatiel life span - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:16 PM

Ya know, my dog and cat were fed the cheap foods-my dog lived to be 17 (she was a shep/husky mix) and a cat who lived to be 21. now my hedgies, I gve them the best diet I can-and 2 are very ill and have to have their diets altered quite a bit. HOW ANNOYING.

Anyway.....sorry this wasn't about birds, just had to share

I am still considering what kind of bird to get....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

But the principal is the same, Meihee. When I grew up our dog ate more table scraps than anything else and lived forever. But you should have seen the huge bags of food we walked away from the bird show with last week! My dogs are on a reduction diet (at about $40/bag) and the cat eats a special food to keep down urinary tract infections.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki View Post
Does anyone know the average lifespan for a cockatiel? I ask because my parent's have one that is about 22 years old!
my cockatiel is 32 years old fit and well has anyone got one older
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Princess in Waiting

That's incredible, Philip. What a well-loved bird - and he obviously knows it!

Reading back through this thread is a bit interesting. Frosty, the bird I had such trouble weaning and was so sure was a male, [I]finally went back to the breeder before SHE starved to death. When she was weaned she was taken to my parents as had been intended. She has produced many clutches of eggs, been egg-bound and recovered, and is totally spoiled rotten now. She eats ice cream with my Dad every night and bounces her water dish up and down if someone is sitting on the couch and not paying any attention. She's a gorgeous white cockatiel that could have made someone a lot of money in breeding - but she's a much loved pet too.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki View Post
we hold him on our index finger with our thumb sticking out and tell him to 'put his head down' and he'll put his head on your thumb and let you rub his neck
My cockatiel lets you do this too, he's 16 now I've had him since he was 2 he's a proper character loves anyone and will go to anyone and give them a wolf whistle.....He gets a bit moody when he wants a sleep now he's getting older I have enclosed a couple of pictures one in his favourite pan in the kitchen, he only goes in his cage for food but he mostly eats off my plate and sleeps on the pillow in the bedroom....He has even been outside when I went to the car as I had a thick coat on and didn't realise he was on my shoulder until he chirped

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Part of the Pack

Othello was around 10 when my sister got him, and she's had him for 8 years now.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 04:47 PM

My cockatiel will be 26 years old in January 2010.......he is only put in his cage for bedtime (and naps) and covered,otherwise he has free roam of the room he is in (den) and will come with me from room to room, if i am in the kitchen he comes with me etc etc...he is in very good health, talks a blue streak, and is in love with the microwave and paper towel roll...lol You dont dare go near the microwave or paper towel roll when he is in the kitchen. He also eats whatever food i am eating, along with his seeds.. He loves rice, pasta,eggs, chicken to name a few....Yes he eats chicken!!!! lol He is a great pet.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 PM

My cockatiel Jamie as just had his 20th birthday and Bobby my budgie is 9yrs old!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Playful Pup

My Mom's Ducky is 18 years old, and has been through 3 owners other than Mom but even when he was my aunt's bird, he loved my mom and dad and would prefer them over my aunt! He's a temperamental, crotchety old bird but he absolutely loves my mom and dad.

My Isis made a year in September. Little clown and hates being in her cage. She will fall sleep tucked under my chin but heaven forbid I am in the room and she isn't out of her cage! She gets huffy if I don't take her out every day.

A breeder/small pet store owner told me that they can live upwards of 30 years. I certainly hope Isis makes it that long. Ducky has something wrong with his wing and he looks a little ragged but he seems healthy otherwise and he can still fly short distances.

I hope all of your darlings have long and happy lives!

Tags
dog food, husky mix, table scraps, urinary tract infection