Cockatiel life span - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Question Cockatiel life span

Does anyone know the average lifespan for a cockatiel? I ask because my parent's have one that is about 22 years old!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

That is one well-cared for bird!!!

Most of them live to be about 10-12 years; 15 is considered old. I spoke with the people who make Harrison's bird food and their mother had a 'tiel who was 20, which they credited the food with.

I'd love to see a picture of this guy! Does it talk or do any fun stuff??

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 03:11 PM

My aunt has a 16 year old cockatiel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 05:42 PM

Ideal conditions they can live to 25 years. Obviously the bird is in ideal conditions
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

It's very encouraging to me to read about these two Senior Citizens in the cockatiel population - especially since I'm still hand-feeding one that hatched in late October!! Grow up, Frosty!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Jasper

Actually, I hate to say it, but in my opinion he could be better cared for BUT, I guess he's doin alright! As far as I know my mom's never gone after any particular brand of food or anything This guy is SUCH a charachter! My parent's found him outside when I was really young (like 4 or 5 I think) and he had an ankle bracelet with his bday (1981 I think). He has been given away numerous times over the years but he just kept coming back! He used to be kind of a jerk and liked to bite but I think it was because he wasn't treated very well...his Nick name is the bad word bird b/c if you made him mad he would say in this very low, wierd voice F*** you!!! he doesn't say that anymore (probably from 20 years of not hearing it, lol) but he still says pretty bird, here kitty kitty and sings a few songs. It is soo cute, he turns in to a big mush ball if you give him a mirror, it's like he's practically having 'relations' with the bird in the mirror! We tried to leave the mirror in the cage with him (he's never had a friend, he drives other birds insane with the lovey lovey) and all of the sudden he had no use for people and started biting again! Oh, and one more (and then I'll shut up, lol) we hold him on our index finger with our thumb sticking out and tell him to 'put his head down' and he'll put his head on your thumb and let you rub his neck...Aww If we want to scare someone we have then do that and then grab his tail (not pull or anything) and he squaks REALLY loud and starts pecking the thumb !! One time I accidentally stepped on his tail when I was little and pulled it out! I was devastated! He was fine but funny looking and the feathers grew back! I'll see if my mom has any pics of him, he's a cutie
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

What a smart bird - and obviously been worked with! Kind of like a YoYo, huh - kept coming back to your Mom.

Erin's BeeBop is only a year old but says his name and Pretty Bird. The trick with the males is to talk to them instead of whistling - which is hard because they imitate whistles so well. We think Frosty is a male because he is beginning to whistle; the horizontal posture may have been 'cause he was a baby.

Isn't it amazing how some people can just give their animals WalMart food and they live forever, and here we are searching out the best we can find, spending more on them than we do our own groceries, and the others live longer!

Thanks for sharing - I love hearing about this guy!

CRITTERCALL

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:39 AM

Critter....LOL - I completely agree...it's funny if you think about it. My neighbor had a dog that lived FOREVER and they fed him the cheapest dog food from Walmart (Ol Roy)! Go figure! LOL

I love those stories - they're so cute! Is it fairly clear when he talks? Go find us a picture!!!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

yeah, drives me nuts! I've spent forever reasearching and a small fortune buying the best stuff and this poor guy gets the generic feed store stuff and has probably a foot of debris in the bottom of his cage and is apparently immortal. I'm glad he's tough though, he's such a cute little guy.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 04:35 PM

Becki-you can hear how much you love him when you talk about him! if I ever had a bird 9which will never happen) but if I did, it would know nothing but prayers, rap songs, and swear words. I know that is horrible but could you just picture abird singing roll out?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

LOL, I CAN hear it!! When we have a bird here we're gonna have to name him Eminem, lol
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 07:38 PM

Bud, that bird would have to sleep with me in the tipi teepee
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

If ya want it to sing, Capn, you've got to get an Amazon. They LOVE to sing - although whatever they sing usually comes out opera style!

CRITTERCALL

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:16 PM
Erin

my mom's friend had one, he was great. She had him for I think 8 years and he flew out the door one day He never came down from the tree, then there was a storm the next night It was so sad because just a couple months previous, she had to have her dog put down due to cancer.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Aww, that is sad! I'm all about the wing clipping...my parent's birds can just barely flutter to the floor, I guess since they got Jasper from outside they knew to stay on it.

Tags
dog food, husky mix, table scraps, urinary tract infection