Photos! Cockatiels outside - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Headlock

Cockatiels outside

Nemo

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Lovin' my pack!

lovin the sunshine!!!

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rchik13ny View Post
lovin the sunshine!!!
yup they were until diego took off =p

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Lovin' my pack!

hes home now safe and sound

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rchik13ny View Post
hes home now safe and sound
for now heehee =p

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Curmudgeon

That is really not the safest thing for small birds.

Avian predators like Cooper's Hawks, Sharpshinned Hawks and others are quick to prey on something as helpless as a cockatiel.

Why risk the bird you love?

Watch THIS Youtube Video.

There are others on the net just like. Some staged, some not. It doesn't really matter though. ...Hawks eat small birds.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Agreed! If you want them to be outside, why not build an outdoor aviary?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Agreed! If you want them to be outside, why not build an outdoor aviary?
I agree! That is dangerous for birds to be out in the open like that.If they are much loved pets,you would be devastated if one was taken by a predator or if one flew off (you mentioned one took off already) and got lost...where it is a pet,it would not know how to survive in the wild and there are many dangers out there.

I see people bring their birds out in the cages or outdoor aviary for them and that way they can enjoy the fresh air safely.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Rodentologist

They also make "flight jackets" designed to keep your birds on a leash. Even a clipped bird can flutter off. I've seen it happen all too many times and the ending is rarely happy.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I agree! That is dangerous for birds to be out in the open like that.If they are much loved pets,you would be devastated if one was taken by a predator or if one flew off (you mentioned one took off already) and got lost...where it is a pet,it would not know how to survive in the wild and there are many dangers out there.

I see people bring their birds out in the cages or outdoor aviary for them and that way they can enjoy the fresh air safely.
the bird that took off i got back and im outside with them

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That's nice, but....birds of prey can kill your cockatiels when they're up in the air. You may have more control over what happens on the ground, but you don't have control in the slightest over what happens in the air. And one of these days, you won't get your bird back. Ever seen the video of the little boy that took his mouse outside for some fresh air? Daddy told him to put Mr. Mouse on top of the cage so he could videotape him better. So he did that, and a second later, a bird of prey comes swooping out of nowhere, and snatches the mouse. If you're not careful, that will happen to your birds.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Headlock

Quote:
That's nice, but....birds of prey can kill your cockatiels when they're up in the air. You may have more control over what happens on the ground, but you don't have control in the slightest over what happens in the air. And one of these days, you won't get your bird back. Ever seen the video of the little boy that took his mouse outside for some fresh air? Daddy told him to put Mr. Mouse on top of the cage so he could videotape him better. So he did that, and a second later, a bird of prey comes swooping out of nowhere, and snatches the mouse. If you're not careful, that will happen to your birds.
you might want to tell these people that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9JeFZWRXr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDAVfmNlTcg

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Rodentologist

Just because someone else does something unsafe and risky doesn't mean that you should. Plenty of people drive drunk, are you going to do that too?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If I remember correctly, birds can have a heart attack if they're scared badly enough. Birds of prey are silent; you can't always tell when they're coming. You think, being human, is enough to ward off birds of prey? Guess what; they're faster than you, and they have wings. They can swoop in, take a cockatiel or two, and be gone before you blink. And you won't be able to do anything to prevent it. The bird of prey isn't going to perch on top of a tree and screech to announce its presence. It's going to judge the best time to come in, and take you completely by surprise.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Headlock

Quote:
If I remember correctly, birds can have a heart attack if they're scared badly enough. Birds of prey are silent; you can't always tell when they're coming. You think, being human, is enough to ward off birds of prey? Guess what; they're faster than you, and they have wings. They can swoop in, take a cockatiel or two, and be gone before you blink. And you won't be able to do anything to prevent it. The bird of prey isn't going to perch on top of a tree and screech to announce its presence. It's going to judge the best time to come in, and take you completely by surprise.
Ive been taking my birds outside for years now so until something happens to one im not gonna worry my birds are happy when there outside =]