Concerned about the sex of our chicken - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Concerned about the sex of our chicken

Hi everyone
I have 5 hens, 4 are Isa Browns and we have one White Sussex. We are slightly concerned that our white sussex may actaully be a cockeral. This morning I noticed it crowing, do females sometimes do this? or is it only the males. It is only 3/4 months old and has a very red and long comb and the little red things that hang down from their jaw. This one is very antisocial compared to the rest of our girls. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a male because the man we brought them from (who we thought was a reliable breeder) sold us a sick bird that died and infected the rest of our little flock.

Here is a picture:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/DSC03876.jpg

Could someone (if possible) please tell me if it is a boy or a girl??

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vixen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

First i have to say i grew up in the city and know absolutely nothing about chickens. But, i thought that only rosters had long tail feathers that curve like that? i could be completely wrong of course, but now you got me curious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_(chicken) On this website it shows pictures of a female white (first pic) and a male (last pic) you can click on the pictures to make them bigger,

My Furry Family
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Part of the Pack

you have yourself a boy there, and you have yourself an unreliable breeder. well... i wouldn't say he's an unreliable breeder, there's different ways of telling and with some birds you just don't know until they start crowing. saying that, his wattle is very big and very red and his tailfeathers do curve down alot.

may i say that is a really pretty boy as well.

it's not bad having a cockerel unless the noise is a problem, but in the summer, who's up at 4am anyway?

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Part of the Pack

thankfully in chickens, unplanned litters are tasty......

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail

Tags
chicken