Cuttlebone Problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Cuttlebone Problem

This seems odd, but I don't think my budgie knows what to do with the cuttlebone. His beak has been getting long and I know that when it gets too long my vet can trim it, but I've never seen him use the cuttlebone nor does it look like its been chewed on. Recently he's been gnawing on his perches almost continuously and I think its because his beak is so long.

Is there anything I can do to show him that chewing on the cuttlebone is fun? He sits on it, so he's not afraid of it, he's just never chewed on it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Alika

The cuttlebone is for calcium, not so much chewing. Most birds will completely ignore a cuttlebone until they need it. Usually, they need it the most during molting and hens will chew on it a lot during their breeding season.

If you're worried that the beak is getting too long, offer more wood and leather toys to chew on. Also consult your vet. If he has plently to chew on and his beak is still growing too fast, something else could be wrong.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Chewing on the perches is fine. My two budgies do that too. Do you have a sanded or concrete perch? That will not only trim the claws, aso the beak. What kind of toys does your bird have in his cage? Mine go crazy with their wood and rawhide toys. Hope all goes well.

Tags
breeding season