Did Your Bird Ever...?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Did Your Bird Ever...??

Hate someone who was visiting your home!???

Last night I cooked a big dinner for my daughter's birthday. There were quite a few people in my house having a good time, talking and laughing. One of my daughter's *male* friends took an interest in Dante - who was being his usual vocal self, getting louder to match the volume in the kitchen. His cage is in the eating ara of the kitchen where there is a vaulted ceiling and skylight. He can get pretty loud when I have people over and the large overhead space - well he loves to yell words, it's amplified (he'll stick his head into anything that might echo too like the glass you are drinking from goofball )

He usually *loves* men. Jim (hubby) and Thomas (22 year old son ) are Dante's humans! This was just SO strange...
The closer this guy (good looking well dressed, clean cut - nothing out of the ordinary guy in his 20's!) got to Dante's cage - the madder Dante got! He became red, started doing the swaying, beak bang warning and he was making a *snorting* sound. I warned this guy that it was late for him to be out of his cage (or awake even, I wasn't going to take him out) and that he doesn't know him - and told him he would bite if provoked. Dante was holding his foot up in a *waving* motion - which usually is an agressive warning. I did teach him to *wave* by capitolizing on that behavior.
He wasn't waving He was mad! It wasn't really *that* late and it's not unusual for me to have a lot of people around my kitchen table. It has been a while though...

Dante is a Yellow Collared Macaw and I suppose since he's small this guy didn't believe what a whallop his beak could deliver! He stuck his finger in the cage and Dante got him! It was SO fast I couldn't believe it. He broke the skin and made a nice puncture wound in the guy's first finger. It bled freely. I had him wash the wound with soap and water and offered to bandage it. He was a tough guy though, saying it was no big deal. He did admit he had no idea how much damage a beak like that could do - I'll bet he never sticks his finger in a bird cage again. Hrrrm...

It was SO obvious that he hated this guy from the minute he walked into my house - but he's never bitten anyone like that! I felt so bad.

I did warn everyone - and a special warning to this guy that Dante, although he's cute, vocal - talks - was going through his repetoire of words and short phrases all night- has the potential to be nasty, especially when he doesn't know you! I also warned him about the strength of a Macaw beak. Well - he learned first hand.

Wow... sorry that was so long.

Have you guys ever seen your birds act out like that when someone they don't like was in your home? Do your birds even "not like" someone who comes to visit?

Why do you think he hated this guy? I swear, it was as if he had chosen this guy as a target from the moment he walked in front of his cage!

I'm so curious if you guys have ever had anything like that happen....

If you made it this far... thanks for reading my long post!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 06:48 PM

LOL I think you are very lucky your bird seems to enjoy so many people! Mine will bite the fingers of any strange fingers that go into his cage (he's a grey).This behavior is actually quite common. They tend to be territorial of their "flock."

It could of been anything from the color of this guys hair or clothing, to the guys demeanor/stance. Maybe in his little mind, this guy LOOKED like the enemy. I wish there was a way to figure out what goes on in their little bird brains LOL

P.S. my neighbor always insists on putting his fingers into my birds cage, even after several nips.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 10:32 PM

yes my green cheek onure barney he will hiss and bang his beak and do every warning he can before he bites , apparently there is something about this guy the bird did not like i think animals know humans better then we do they sense something wrong qwith him , and he didnt heave youre warnings about the bird there for he got what he deserves , in my book the guy disrespected youre words and thats that good for the bird i give hima pet on the head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Linda I know nothing about birds but my aunty's bird hates me and my mum!!! It hisses at as and if it is out of it's cage it attacks us (don't ask me what kind.....can't think right now....but it talks and is 'hand trained')...this bird is the reason I'm terrified of them!!! It attacked my ear one day when I was there and never again have I gone near a bird!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 10:07 AM

I have heard of several stories like this. None of my birds ever acted that way towards anyone (usually just my friends) that came over the house. Maybe the guy had something on his mind and although you guys couldn't tell he was upset and Dante senced it. Or maybe he just got a bad vibe.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:38 AM

I have a quaker, Max, he does not like anyone new near him. He will give warning by bobbing his head up and down and growling. He nips, but so far has never really "bitten" anyone.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 07:01 PM

I have a Senegal named Dante. He was overly socialized when he was a baby. I forgot about the growling thing, he hasn't done that since he was a baby. He used to love everybody. I worked at a pet store and used to walk around with him and introduce him to everyone. I used to work with a woman with bright red hair, she has two Senegals herself, and she used to spoil him all the time. Then the terrible two's came and just like all the textbooks said he started nipping, even me. Then he stopped nipping me but decided he didn't like anyone else. He's the kind of bird that likes to be sadistic. He gives no warning. He shimmies over to the side of the cage and puts his little head down against the bars and waits for that unwarned person to stick there fingers in and tries to take a nice big chunck. That is except for one friend who came over. We were having a barbaque and everyone was so facinated by the birds. I walked into the room to see a few people crowded around Dante's cage and I warned them that he bites. My one friend turned around with Dante sitting on her finger and said "This bird?" Well he apparently liked her and yup she had bright red hair.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 06:27 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

My cockatiel doesn't like anyone who enters my house. He doesn't even like my mom or little sister. He starts his hissing and biting at whoever. He can't do much damage but he has cut open skin.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 AM

Toby is well socialized (as Dante is) but this did happen to us once. One of our neighbors came over and from the second this guy walked in our door, Toby put his wings up and was lunging. He never does this! He usually gets shy when there are strangers around. (until you 've been around for a little bit then he turns back into clown bird). It was very odd - I had never before seen Toby act this way and he's never done it since. He's exposed to a lot of new situations and people - this was like it was just one guy Toby didn't like - really didn't like!

What happened with us sounds like what happened with Dante. Isn't that odd? Maybe they can sense something about that person that we can't. *shrug*

Guess that guy learned his lesson the hard way, huh??

How is your Dante boy?? Kenny & I were just talking about him the other day and I got to giggling because Ken said he's gonna teach Toby to belch. I said....OH NO YOU'RE NOT! He said, "Linda laughs at it...you should too" I said "I do laugh when Dante belches and I'm sure Linda would laugh hysterically if Toby started belching!" Jeez, it's bad enough that Toby blows his nose, don't need him belching too!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks so much you guys!

Yanno - I had the secret thought at the time "Wow he sure got what he asked for!!" But I felt so bad when I saw the chunk missing from his finger!

Dena - how odd, the red hair thing! I swear they really have good memories!

Carmen - I used to be absolutely terrified of birds!! When I was shortly out of nursing school and pregnant I took a job working for a Medical Lab. It was great because I got to leave the Lab and go to people's homes to do assesments and blood draws. There was a guy I was drawing blood from weekly because he had hepatitis ( yah, pregnant - double gloved, heh )
Anyway - He had a HUGE Scarlette Macaw. I knew nothing about birds back then and just to freak me out whenever I entered his apartment and set my bag down to get everything ready to check him out - he'd let the bird out to fly around his apartment! I used to have a near full blown panic attack The bird lunged at me once and as I backed up I yelled at the guy and told him if that bird was *ever* out of the cage when I came into his apartment I was not only going to drain ALL his blood I was going to let him rot!

Jodi!! I think every bird should learn to belch!! LOL!! I think the Tobster could make a louder belch than Dante does!! He blows his nose!! omg Dante *coughs* and blows *raspberries* (kind of like a farting sound ) We should get them together and make a "Birds gone Wild - Rude Sounds" CD

Well I feel tons better you guys - I know birds are intuitive and smart - and as they get older their personalities can change.... Dante isn't old, he's almost 10 though and he IS rather set in his ways. This guy probably did trip his trigger. He challenged Dante, he really did. Dante thinks he rules!!

[center]

[
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:27 PM

I think the dude deserved what he got. HEHE

I also believe that all animals have a better sense of people than we do.

I don't have any birds, but want one someday.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Hee Hee!!!

Jezebel does it to ANYONE who enters my house that doesn't live here. However, if I manage to calm her down, which I usually can, I can hand her off to whoever that person was and she will step up, no problem.

She is a strange one.

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 03:14 AM

On the contrary, my cockatoo acts like a perfect angel whenever anyone new enters the house. When we are alone together that she turns into a *brat* again. A cute brat, but a brat.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo
Hee Hee!!!

Jezebel does it to ANYONE who enters my house that doesn't live here. However, if I manage to calm her down, which I usually can, I can hand her off to whoever that person was and she will step up, no problem.

She is a strange one.
And don't get near her with the phone!

Still wuv Jeze though!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 05:07 AM

my blue and gold macaw is like that with my brother..he has done it with me before aswell.but only a little bite, it did hurt but i dont care.. i dont think he meant it, it was because i was around my brother at the time...

Tags
bird cage, gold macaw, pet store