Do you clip your bird's wings? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

View Poll Results: Do you keep your bird's wings clipped?
Yes 27 65.85%
No 10 24.39%
I don't own a bird but want to see the poll results! 4 9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Do you clip your bird's wings?

Sooo, how many of us keep our fids clipped?

If so, do you do it yourself? Do you take them somewhere to get it done?

We keep Toby clipped - always have. We do it ourselves now but we used to take him in to a bird store. We still take him in to get his toenails done because he freaks out if we try to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Ahh - yes as a matter of fact ... LOL
For those of you that don't know the story - here's the short version: (I'd add a link to the original thread here, but of all my threads about Eephus, it's the only one missing)
A few months after we first got Eephus, I went out of town for the day. Greg took Eephus outside, and he flew away! It took 3 hours, a cherry-picker, a pocketful of nuts, and a pillowcase to get him out of the third tree he flew to. I guess it was a grand old time - I hear half the town showed up. After getting him down, Greg came in, found a website that showed how to clip wings, and Eeph's flying days were over.
Eephus perches on his open cage door, crouches down a bit and holds his wingie out for Greg to clip him. No problem at all.

Sharon
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:21 PM

Glad there was a happy ending to your story Sharon!

We have taken Floyd to the vet to clip his wings. We thought we could watch and learn. That was a few months ago and now it's almost time to clip again. I'm not feeling very secure about clipping them just yet.

We have trimmed his nails before and it was two person job. I have a battle wound from that episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

We clip both birds ourselves. I towel trained Dante and he actually loves to be wrapped up in a towel like "a pretty baby!!".
It's not such a bad job - I let Jim do the clipping and I hold them in the towel.
Dweezil is so small, it's a quick and easy job to do his wings, and nails.

Wow Sharon!! What an ordeal! I'm so glad Eeph was able to be rescued! I can't even imagine. I'm sure when half the town was there they were glued to the scene in suspense! Aww what a good bird, to crouch down and offer his wings for clipping! That's really neat! I love Eephus He's such a character, and so gorgeous.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 09:32 AM

My Dante is very good about letting me do it. Doesn't like it but will tolerate anything mommy does. My other two well lets just say I pretend I'm a birdy kong and it doesn't hurt. Luckily they are both so tiny that it goes very quickly.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Herp Nerd

I don't clip my macaw, my conure or any of my budgies, but I do clip my senegal. Just because he's dangerous to himself. He flies well but has absolutely no control and careens into things at incredible speed. The last time I had to rescue him from a mini-blind was when I decided it was best to try and keep him mostly grounded (and switch to plastic blinds instead of metal!). The others don't generally fly around much at all, and I've never had an issue with them.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 11:15 PM

I clip my birds wings myself. Really is not hard to do. Toenails are not my favorite thing to do though.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 11:39 AM

I do it myself. I dont do the nails I have a nice perch that files them down. I actually haven't needed to do her wings yet since I've gotten her. I noticed they are starting to grow in now tho. So probably soon. But I've done it to our parakeets, lovebirds, macaws and cockatoos.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 12:51 PM

If I had a bird yes, because I don't want it flying all over the house.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 12:12 AM

we clip our cockatoo's. we convince her that we are just rubbing her underwings and admiring her wingspan -- ooohing and awwing the entire time. she doesn't seem to know the difference.

the smaller birds i don't worry with. the parakeet flies around sometimes and the cockatiel has some sort of shoulder problem so he doesn't even bother to attempt it.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 PM

I have to clip my Quakers wings myself about once every 2 or 3 months because I have 2 cats and if he were to fly around that wouldnt be very good. my cats are pretty good with him as it is but I dont want to activate there instincts seeing a birdy flying about.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Princess in Waiting

I take all of mine to the "Bird Store" to get their nails and wings done. Don't want them to get mad at me (a problem with Grays) and it's much easier on my nerves to pay $5 a pop to get him to do it! Bubba or I usually help, depending on who is working, etc., but they all just love Vernon and that's where I board them when we go out of town.

Rav, I understand about the Senegal. They're little WildMen aren't they? So funny! Ours is totally in love with my husband and the parrotlet loves me.

All in all I think it is safer to keep wings clipped and house doors shut. You never know what's gonna happen.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Princess in Waiting

Uh, Sharron, do we like JPL? Isn't he a cutie? I agree with you on him.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:12 PM

i clip my budgies wings myself. they bite at me alot when am holding them but i got used to that. i had someone show me the first time and then after that i did it myself. they get mean sometimes. berries actually broke a blood vessel or something in my thumb once. oh well, it wasn't that bad. that was like right after we got them so who can blame her.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:18 PM

Red face then only ones clipped right now is

the two new ones bourbon and honey . the reason is i want them to get to know the house and the windows once they get thier flight feathers they will have full flight. its a safety thing for me other wise every one of the birds all others 24 have full flight and its wanderful /

Tags
avian vet, beautiful bird, local pet store, pet store, sit still