Feathers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

View Poll Results: Do you do anything with your bird's feathers?
Yes 9 36.00%
No 10 40.00%
Would like to... 5 20.00%
Just wanna vote! 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Feathers?

Do you save your bird's feathers?

Do you do anything special with 'em? Crafts? Sell them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Toby has beautiful feathers. Especially his long tail feathers. I have all of his tail feathers and a lot of his wing feathers saved.... I'm just not sure what to do with them. One woman I know made dream catchers and another woman used 'em in a wreath. And I think Sharon sold some of Eefie's feathers on Ebay.

I would love to come up with some craft to incorporate at least some of his feathers. I had a co-worker and another friend ask me if they could have one of Toby's tail feathers. I wish I had some unique to give it to them instead of just giving them a feather, ya know?

Right now I have Toby's long tail feathers (1 1/2 - 2 foot long) in a vase. Hmpf. Kinda boring, eh?

Have ya'll seen anything that you can think of using feathers? Any fun ideas?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

We save most of em - we sold our first bunch on Ebay .... people pay good money for em !! We have a shoe-box we put the small ones in, and the big tail feathers go in a jar.

I save some of the more unusual little ones, they're in my jewelry box now - I have a locket key-chain somewhere, if I ever find it, I'll put them in there.
Eephus has been so rough on his feathers this time around though - always running on the floor makes a mess of his tail, and with the picking and chewing .... they're kind of a mess.

Tempted to learn how to make dream catchers, and use some for that ...

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Gosh, I guess I should start saving some of his smaller feathers.

I think you should give the dream catchers a try Sharona!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:00 PM

I voted yes, we vaccuum them up! My birds don't have the beautiful feathers some of your bigger guys have so I don't keep them. Lately there have been so many. I thought my parrotlet had begun feather plucking because her chest was bare over night. This happened with my senegal when he "lost" his entire tail and I freaked out. So this time I've made sure to wait a little bit and sure enough she's got little green tuffs coming back out and she's not plucking.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

I had to vote no, because, Eli, my tiel, has so many feathers falling out right now , all I do is vacuum them up, except if they are the tail feathers, then I keep them for a book mark.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 01:47 PM

I put my parakeets' feathers in a jar to collect them. When the jar is full I'm going to make a collage of the feathers and pictures of Pony and Soda.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Becca saves them, doesn't matter if it's Jeze's or Lu's. She especially likes Lu's tail feathers.

I have no idea what she's gonna do with them, but she has them in a shoebox.

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If I see any nice feathers I'll take them out. The don't usually, they just go in the garbage. The feathers here aren't that pretty.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:12 PM

Well, my birdies haven't lost many feathers yet. just some little flurrie fuzzies that I have to vaccuum or pick off the edge of the cage. I made some later on though, especially Ooblars.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 11:04 AM

I have three of Cairo's tail feathers (the only ones she has lost so far) decorating my computer desk. When I get some more I will do something with them but I'm not sure what, maybe decorate a scrap book or put them on the wall in the fids room.
The cats love to play with the little peices of down, they chase them around when the heat vents throw them into the air.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Alika

Feathers can be donated to the Feather Distribution Project - a project that takes molted turkey and parrot feathers and gives them to Native American tribes who use the feathers in their rituals. Otherwise, birds either get killed or live birds get plucked for the feathers.

If anyone is interested, I can provide a website.

I save the nice feathers for educational programs.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 02:41 PM

Never thought to sell them on e-bay lol .... i just give them away when i get a bunch of them that are worth saving....generally to my wifes aunt since he does lots of crafts with different things
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 10:43 PM

I don't do anything with the feathers.. I just save them
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 10:58 PM

I have a few of Peaches' feathers but she usually poops on them before I can get them. :/ I save her nicer ones ... I enjoy collecting her crest feathers. They are like a rare treat.