Finally! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Thumbs up Finally!

When I first met Eephus back in August, he would always say "MMMMMM is it good?" when we gave him his food. I started telling him "Yummy" hoping he'd say it. I swear, I have been saying "Yummy" several times a day, every day since then. Finally, today - while he was eating a chicken-leg bone, I heard him say it ! Came out more like "Yommy", but he said it !
I wonder why they learn some things quicker than others - when he first got here, I would say "Go ahead" whenever I fed him, not even realizing I said it every time, and he learned that in a few weeks. He learned "Peek-a-boo" in a few days.
It's funny, most of his little phrases have to do with eating: "MMMMM", "Is it good?", "You like that?", "Go ahead", and now, "Yommy". My little piggie ...

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Princess in Waiting

Did you see the valley girl Amazon on TV tonight (Animal Planet) that said "Oh My God"? It was a hoot!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 09:56 AM

Hey girl....I don't understand it either...Toby is still stuck on Hello. It's his favorite word!!!! Some days it drives me CRAZY!!!!

But if I'm not in the room, he ramble on & on & on. Saying all the words and phrases that I've been trying to teach him.

Maybe Toby's shy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:48 AM

Birds learn faster when they watch you interacting with someone else. That is how Alex (Dr. Irene) learned. The first word from Dante (my senegal) was "Kenny", my husbands name. He learned it by me trying to wake my husband up after falling asleep on the couch. It was pretty funny. He did learn quite a few things that I tried to teach him directly. They also wont say anything until they feel that it is perfect thats why they do that mummbling when you are in the room and the perfect time to catch them speaking.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention the lovely imitation of Greg's burp that he does Couldn't figure why he learned it so fast ... then I noticed one morning, everytime Greg goes for his second cup of coffee - he stands there and burps (Men - good God, what do ya do with em?) So now when Eephus "burps", I say "Excuse me" - and Greg laughs. Rude, I'll tell ya!
I love hiding around a corner and listening to him rambling, even my grumpy old neighbor enjoys sitting and listening to him while he's outside.

Sharon
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 12:22 PM

OMG ROTFL!!!!!

Dena, that's my hubby's name too...hopefully Toby won't learn "Kenny, why are your clothes in a pile on the floor?????" Don't feel bad Sharon, after 12 years Kenny still doesn't use the dirty laundry basket!!! lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 01:53 PM

I saw that Crittercall....that was hillarious!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Your bird stories are hilarious! More more more!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I got a great one ... it happened on Sunday.
Eephus' cage has 4 feeder dishes. The access doors swing out, so you can put the dishes in from the outside. Eephus likes to go around while he's out, and open them all (and he can squeeze thru the opening). Greg put him in the cage for some downtime, and I thought nothing of it. I went to lie down with a headache, I was sound asleep and dreaming ... All of a sudden, something's pulling my eyelashes ! Then I hear this cutesy little "Hi!", open my eyes, and there's Eephus on the pillow next to mine , crouched down and practically beak to nose with me ! When he saw I was awake, he snickered at me! (what we call his "wheezy" laugh) Needless to say, my nap was cut short! Went out to put him on his cage, the door was closed - but a feeder door was open!
Never a dull moment, I'll tell ya! You can't imagine how it feels to have a macaw preen your eyelashes! Yikes!

Sharon
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 11:05 PM

LOL, Too cute! I just can't get enough of those guys (Eephus and Toby are like brothers in my mind, lol)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 08:47 AM

I love that story!!!

Yup, I've had the eyelashes preened...as well as my ears, nose, teeth...you name it!!

What's cracks me up about Sharon's story is how Eephus had to walk across the dining room in to the bedroom & crawl up on her bed. LOL He was just looking for his mom!

And if you could hear Eephus say "Hi"...it's not just Hi...he has the funniest tone when he says it!!!

OMG, the wheezy laugh - I love when they do that! How about the deep down belly laugh????
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Rhonda

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Not a Macaw story, but Henry is my clown. He's funny, because he likes to do that muttering thing until he gets the words down just right before he says them where we can hear him. He also makes gross body noises (coughs and burps being the least of them - and it ain't me, Babe!). He say "love you" "gimme a kiss" "I'm daddy's pretty bird".

The one thing that I haven't been able to get him to say in the three or four years that we'v had him is "Mama's green bird". Maybe it isn't easy being green!

Bub walked up to his cage tonight and Henry said "Do you want to go out?"

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
animal planet