First Day and Night and all is well :)) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

First Day and Night and all is well :))

we had an uneventful afternoon, evening and night....Rosie is just so sweet...she steps up and steps down... she is struggling to say "Pretty Girl" ...

her food is pellets called RuddyBush?? I have plenty of that and the source is where her Avian Vet is...he owns the bird supply there ...

now....what would you suggest along with the pellets and what times of day?? .....he said just basically feel my way HAHAHAHAH well thats too scarey for me......

can you tell me your morning, noon, evening menus sorta??
and thanks in advance.....I feel so much calmer knowning you folks are here

hugz
lexy

ps I'll take/post some pictures later today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 08:46 AM

Lexy, how old is Rosie? Is she completely weaned?

I'll let the Sennie people answer the diet questions... but Toby had scarmbled eggs for breakfast today (only 2-3 times a week). I'll give him some fruit this afternoon (mango & orange) and tonight he'll have sweet taters & veggies. He gets nuts throughout the day and always has pellets available. Not everyone always has pellets available but it works for us.... Toby likes to pick at 'em throughout the day.

Glad to hear you had a good night! I can't wait to see pictures!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Jodi she is 1 year and will be 2 in February!!....thank you so much for the menus ehheheheh it will help me get her on a regular feed.....we already love her....the pups are so curious and I've only let them around her when Im there...she pecked my little weenie dog ( she was my Mamas dogie ) Ellies nose hahahahaha scared me AND ellie ahhahhaha
hugz
Lexy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

a funny thing to add.....when my hubby and I were looking for parrots, a macaw, beautiful one was advertised for sell with the cage etc...oh he was beautiful....well we gave them the offer exactly what they wanted and I was so excited etc....well I WAS SO EXCITED that they got all REVED up about the bird again and decided NOT TO SELL HIM hahahahahaha
now wasnt that a hoot!! hahahahaha
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Alika

The way I manage my birds' diets is this (everyone does something different, and you'll probably devise your own method)

I try to give a variety of 3-4 fruits/veggies in the morning for breakfast. In the evening, grains and meats are generally offered for dinner. Pellets are available all day, and the birds will generally snack on them. They all get a nut right before bed. It keeps them quiet when the lights go off (I live in an apartment complex). Since I train my birds, they get seeds, almonds, peanut butter, and other fattening foods mostly as reinforcers - in very very small amounts. All my birds are prone to obesity, so I don't give a whole lot of fattening treats and foods (seeds, nuts, meats)

Hope that helps!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Alika when you say "grains and meats".....what are they?? he didnt tell me nor leave anything like that for me......and the almonds and seeds?? can you give me some brand names?? and thanks SO MUCH
hugz
Lexy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Alika

grains - bread (rolls, loaf), tortillas, pasta (spaghetti, shell, fetuccinni, etc.), rice. It's better to only give wheat, but a little white won't hurt them too much. They should still get more veggies because they're more nutritious, but grains will balance out the diet. Birds like grains because of the carbohydrates - it gives them energy, which they would need in the wild for flying around. Some people say not to give too much unless your bird is flighted in a large aviary, because it won't be able to expend that energy in a positive way...

Meats should be given only in moderation, but they're a good source of protein which all birds need. My birds enjoy the occassional hard boiled egg (3-4x month) with crushed egg shell - don't give a sennie an entire egg - just about 1/3 should be plenty for him. My amazon also enjoys potroast, and my other two will occasionally eat it as well. They will also eat chicken. But with any meat, it's important to thoroughly cook it.

I don't give my sennie hardly any seeds. I shouldn't even have mentioned that I give them to my tiel in addition to her pelleted diet because cockatiels eat seeds in the wild and some people think seeds are still good for them... variety is the most important thing in any diet. I do give him 1-2 Nutriberries a week as a treat - they're made by Lafeber's and composed of seeds, pellets, and dried fruit. That's the ONLY time he ever gets seeds anymore.

As for nuts... senegals need less fat than larger birds. Macaws and CAGs need extra fat in their diets (done my research on them since I will own one of each one day), but sennies do not. Beeper gets no more than one almond a day, and just as a nightly ritual. There is no brand... I just buy bulk almonds at the grocery store

Diets are controversial. I researched mine TO DEATH before I settled into it. My own personal belief is that getting your bird on a good diet is one of the best things you can do for him/her. My sennie was a plucker for 6 years in another home, which my vet and I believe is partly due to a poor diet (seeds and dried fruit only). Same story with my BFA. Most people who have been into birds for a long time seem to say that variety is key - it's the only way to get all the vital vitamins and minerals and nutrients into them.

So... don't just take my word for it Do some internet searches and buy some books (start with Guide to the Senegal Parrot and family by Mattie Sue Athan and Dianalee Deter and Birds for Dummies) and then you can decide for yourself.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

bless your heart for this post.....I printed it out and will now get a schedule sorta for Rosie!!!.....that helped me so much and the list Jodi posted I printed out also....
The man that I got Rosie from brought ALL those books..the one you listed and about 5 more....so I will do that but it sure is a great shortcut to get a list like you gave me to help me get started.......
I send you SO much appreciation for taking the time to do this for me...
hugz
Lexy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Alika

I posted more book suggestions in your original thread. There's lots of great ones out there! Good luck... hoping to see some pictures soon!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 11:44 PM

I use Harrison's and I make sure my U2 has enough at all times of the day or night. Her bowl is never empty. I don't want her on a schedule. Plus I have veggies, fruits and nuts in another bowl close by.

Tags
avian vet, dried fruit