First Molt? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

First Molt?

I'm sorry I've been gone for awhile, but I'm back now Lots of holidays and stuff.

Anyway, a week or two ago my Ooblar started losing a ton of feathers. All over the place. She's recently just out of no where, popped out some new wing feathers - they're really long. I'm not sure where the other ones went, though Anyway, I'm afraid to take her out of her cage because I don't want her running into a wall or getting out, and we've scheduled a vet appointment for clipping once Gary loses his (He seems very close. They're about the same age, so I'm guessing it's about time.) The thing that worries me is, now with her new showy wings, Ooblar won't let me get her out of her cage. Usually she'll just hop onto my finger and walk around with me, but now she hustles about the cage. She's always been friendly, let me get on her on my finger the first day. Gary still is a bit skittish of me, and bites in the morning Someone said it was because now that she knew she could fly, she wouldn't want to be around me because she knew she could get away. I don't how much of that is true.. but will it stay this way? Or will she be okay after she's clipped?

I just talking away here, but one more thing. Is there any way to stop them pooping in their water!? I have to clean it 3 times a day. No matter where I put it in the cage, it gets pooped on. I think they sit on it sometimes. Will one of those.. covered cup things help? The ones they can stick their heads into? Anyway, thanks in advance to any advice, I know I babbled a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:10 PM

I don't remember what kind of birds you have.....

Yes, a covered bowl will help with the poop in the water thing. Also, I would get their wings clipped as soon as you can. If you have small birds (lovies, budgies, etc) you'll need to keep up with giving them attention to keep them tame.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Ah, woops. They're budgies/parakeets, yes. We plan on clipping them soon, no worries there.. I'm still trying with my Ooblar, and I took her out with all doors closed and locked. XD She didn't fly away- off my finger, but the way she moves around that cage I know she can. Anywaay. Gary seems to be probably close, so they'll be flightless soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:30 PM

Ha ha, my African Grey and BOTH Ringneck doves are molting... there are feathers everywhere! and my poor 14 yo dove has bald spots on his head cause his feathers are still in their sheaths.
My 14yo Ringneck poos in his water all the time, but i moved it so it has helped. Just try to move it somewhere there isnt a perch above it, if he can stand above it, he can poo in it!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I've moved their water all over. I think I've found a place where it gets LESS poo.. but I think they just sit on it, use it as one of their perches. O-O they seem to enjoy getting their tails wet - or getting wet in general, so maybe thats it. But they'll sit there for hours and end up getting it extremely dirty!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 01:04 PM

Yeah, my younger dove uses food dish as a nest almost, he sits RIGHT IN it! But he seems content, and he hardly ever actually poos in it. Oh well... they do what they will... lol

Tags
african grey