Fosters and Smith - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool Fosters and Smith

Does any or everyone else get the Drs. Foster and Smith bird catalog? I got a new one today - they have some really neat toys and things and some great informative article. From what I read today, I'm going to have to move Sweets because it said that birds who would normally talk but are placed near a bird who talks a lot (Henry) usually won't talk. This boy's 7 months old and rarely says a word- which is unusual for a Gray.

They have the coolest swing in the new catalog. The top part is stainless steel and has bells that look like wind chimes hanging down from the top. Pip would love it but it is way too big for her. And of course the ones for the big guys are $50!

If you don't get their catalog, you can probably go to their website and ask them to send it to you,

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I love their catalogs!! (I usually get the small animal one. )
They will send it to you if you request it online.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 08:19 PM

I love it! There are so many things in there I wish I could buy!!

I've come across a few free shipping deals with 'em too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

I'm in good company on this one, huh? I'd say that's three thumbs up on getting on their mailing list!

CRITTERCALL

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

ok ok share the website addy I want one!! I haven't seen one in years (but then it was dogs)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

Stephanie

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

thanks Jade!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Critter - I definately need to check out this catalog! I didn't know Fosters and Smith had a bird specific one, I get the dog one...

I know that their articles tend to be for the most part pretty informative but I have to disagree with what they are saying about moving your bird away from one who already talks.

It's not uncommon at all for Grays to be "late bloomers" in the talking department. 7 months old is young! An African Gray will normally absorb like a sponge- then when he's ready- start speaking with amazing ability - leaving you wondering "How the heck did he learn that one!?"

I could be way off the mark here but I believe that by working with him consistantly on phrases (and the sounds- he'll pick those up naturally from his environment) - he should speak! It may not be until he's a year or a little over, but it seems to me that having a prolific talker near him can only benefit him.
Grays are such unique birds - their intelligence is quite remarkably high - and of course they are known for their huge vocabularies , and ability to apply language to proper situations!

They don't begin speaking as quickly as other birds seem to though. They are slow to mature.

I used to have a great web resource with information about Dr. Irene Pepperberg's (gosh I hope I got that name right) ongoing research regarding Grays and their speech and intelligence. It's totally engrossing information if you've never read about her work.

I'll see if I can find it again and post it ... it's probably easy to find by looking up her name though ... hrrm.
I'm just a little surprised that the catalog gave that information, especially regarding Grays.

If I'm totally off-base here , someone please correct me?

[center]

[
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 09:44 PM

Ahhh, you're talking about Alex the Grey!

Here's the link: Alex

Have you seen the video?

Last edited by JGawana; 10-02-2003 at 09:47 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 11:50 PM

Drs Foster and Smith's bird catalog used to be Hornbecks. I used to order all the time from them but I have some very large bird stores near me that I can go in and play with everything first and then bring it home without paying shipping
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:39 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

That's it Jodi!! Thanks!! Alex!!
It's just totally amazing... I've seen bits and pieces of video on various TV shows ... I'd love to see the entire thing!
I just about fell over when I saw her ask him "What do you want?" and he said "Chair!" and she put him on the back of the chair... then went on to pick out colors, name objects- count... tell her what an object was made from "wood!" Just awesome!

[center]

[
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

I've seen Alex on TV several times; we're always fascinated with him. I think he's smarter than I am, so he wouldn't work out as my pet! I was surprised when I learned that Alex is a Timneh (Sweets is a Congo) because they don't talk quite as well as their "big brothers". And have you heard them say that a lot of the other birds have learned so much because of Alex?

BANG! That's the sound of my hitting my forehead! I see now - and should have all along - where you're coming from Deja! Thanks!

We're having a bit of trouble with him now because he's decided he doesn't want to be held, gotten out of his cage, etc. We will wait and let him get out on his own before we try to pick him up....but lets just says I've got some nice bruises on my hand and I'm his favorite person!! Any suggestions for a teenage bird?

CRITTERCALL

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 09:15 AM

I love Alex. I have a great video that has him in it. Counting, saying shapes, colors, etc. And Dr. Pepperberg talking about parrots having the intelligence of kindergartners! I don't think they've done any recent videos on him lately. I thought I had heard at one point that he had been plucking? don't quote me on that though!

Anyway, after he answers a question right he says "can I have a nut?"

He'll bite one of the researchers than tuck his head and say "sorry"...then do it again! Little brat!

This is a quote from the book "Why does my bird do that?" by Julie Rach:
When Dr. Pepperberg left Alex at a veterinary hospital for surgery, he said to her, "Come here. I love you. I'm sorry. I want to go back." Apparently, Alex thought he was being punished by being left at the hospital."

What a trip, huh?!? He amazes me. Dr. Pepperberg had a book come out in 2000 or 2001 I think - sounds like it would be very interesting!

Last edited by JGawana; 10-03-2003 at 11:28 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Looks like I'm heading for Amazon!!

My friend had a Congo who was amazing. He'd say "Petey want a grape" and she'd tell him she didn't have a grape he could have a nut. This would go on for several seconds and she would take him a nut and she would throw it at her! He used to be great at cheering for the KY Wildcat basketball team. He also used to see her pick up her car keys and would sigh loudly and say "Well, I gotta go to work". They are sponges, just like little kids.

CRITTERCALL