Found a baby bird I think it has a broken leg? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Found a baby bird I think it has a broken leg?

So my boyfriend and I went to the post office today on bike and we stopped by mcdonalds for some water. When I was parking my bike I looked down( I have awful vision) and thought I saw huge gump of gum. so i moved my bike in closer only to see the Gump of gum twitch lol you couldnt imagine how much I freaked when I saw it moved. Anyway not the point, I did check around for a nest to see if momma was watching me or near, no site of it or mamma anywhere. He was right under the Mcdonalds sign on the concrete. So he's in a plastic tub with the heating pad on low and a light shining on him to also help keep him warm.

HE chirps A LOT, I think he's hungry but I dont wanna feed him just yet because I dont want the food to sour in the crop. ALSO he I think he might have a broken leg he crawls with only his right foot while his left in tucked under him. Is it broken or only sprained?
Please help!! I did get some bird food from the pet store, its baby formula for mc craw birds. Is that not good enough??

PS: I really dont want any comments about keeping the bird there or I shouldnt have picked him up. I have no car to go anywhere right now UNLESS its biking so I cant bring him in a rescue right now unless its near or they do pick ups. thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lola

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Headlock

it looks like a baby starling i found 5 babies before and fed them spaghetti with elbow noodles im not sure about the legs though also for sour crop to happen it would have to be overfed for that to happen =]

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Starling is the type of bird? Do you mush up the spaghetti and stick in in a syringe?

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Headlock

starling is a species of bird and i took the noodle whole and feed it to them with my hand =]

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

If I were you I would look for a wildlife center in your area with a hospital to take in injured animals.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I don't have any areas near me that recuse birds. I cant drive there I dont have a car. I can only bike and have pick ups.

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Just found out it is a house sparrow

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcalover1126 View Post
Just found out it is a house sparrow
those are smaller then starling.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yea i guess he's just bulky but if you look at his beak and a house sparrow they are the same. I have another form up on Pigeon-talk and some guy said it was a house sparrow. I think it was the same bird you caught the other day.

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcalover1126 View Post
Yea i guess he's just bulky but if you look at his beak and a house sparrow they are the same. I have another form up on Pigeon-talk and some guy said it was a house sparrow. I think it was the same bird you caught the other day.
maybe it is I caught it in a shed where chicken are keep I dont know what they eat in there but I just had to catch one. there cute =p

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hahaha good catch on that one Btw lol I could never get one haha. well thx for the info ^_^ imma do it probably next week when I know he's outta the woods and for sure can start eating solids

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Lovin' my pack!

The eyes don't look open yet..and there aren't any pins from what i can see in the pic....I dont think it's over 7 days old....like keets..they have to be handfed from a syringe every few hours around the clock! Panda knows the trouble of feeding tiels a few weeks old already,and even had one pass unexpectedly! There are many complications that can come with handfeeding,you can even kill them if fed wrong...

i don't think it will survive very long, I didnt google or anything yet,but the yellow beak would hint at starling too,there are alot of them around my area.

If it's out of the nest...theres prolly a reason for it....sometimes mothers kick them out if there is something wrong with them..it may have a broken leg too from the fall. Its just natures way of survival of the fittest.

Thanks for at least giving it a warm home,and wish you best of luck..please let us know how handfeeding and its leg does.

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Hello Earthling

I agree with CrWoodypets... You need to find a licensed organization to take the bird. In many places it is illegal to be in possession of a native animal.

Spaghetti does not seem like an appropriate food for a bird. I URGE you to find someone who knows how to care for birds.

Tags
baby, bird, broken leg