Photos! found birds! would love some advice :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

found birds! would love some advice :)

hey there. so this morning I was driving around looking for yard sales when I saw a pile of stuff on someone's curb for the trash. I noticed a nice looking bird cage, so I stopped to check it out.

well, it had birds in it! two parrotlets. these people were just going to let them get thrown in the trash! I didn't want to just take them in case it was some kind of weird accident, so I knocked on the door and asked if they were looking for a new home for the birds. well, now I have two parrotlets.

they are terrified of humans. I have been talking to them as much as possible, any other tips you may have for helping them be more comfortable with humans would be much appreciated it.

also, I cannot tell if they are male or female. I think maybe male because they have blue on the under part of their wings. here is the best shot I got of them...can anyone tell?

they seem very nice other than being scared...they are quietly chirping and cleaning each other now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Curmudgeon

Time is what will win them over. Don't pressure them. A good diet and patience will be the best things you can give them. Looks like a decent cage, get them some more toys, ...introduce the toys gently, one at a time over weeks.

Personally, I would call the local Animal Control or ASPCA and report the people that were throwing them out with the garbage.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM

They are adorable. And I agree with mygala I would phone the local aspca to report them.
As for them being scared of you well they just take time. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i'm sure they are terrified of everything at the molment, their world was thrown out in the street with cars, cats, dogs, birds, crazy screaming short people (kids), and what have you everything they know has been turned upside down.

Maybe with a little time they will relax bunches. and you will be able to win them over.

They actually look quite healthy... fully feathered, and in a decent cage.

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

just a little update...when I brought them home they would screech and hide in the corner if I got near the cage. now I can sit next to the cage and talk quietly and they will stay on the perch! I will keep working with them. I think they used to be tame but stopped getting attention because they already are ok with me coming near the cage slowly
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Those look like Love Birds I used to have. Are you sure that they are parrots?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they do look like love birds.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

There so cute, lucky you found them. Sounds like your doing good with them so far, maybe some treats would help? i think birds can have some veggies right? i cant remember which ones. but maybe you could put something between the bars next to wear your sitting.. then then jus sit back a little and talk to them, thats how i won over my aunts bird she fed hers fruit loops, not sure how healthy those are for them tho.

My Furry Family
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 PM

those are pacific parrotlets i think, which is technicly a parrot, a lovebird is also a parrot, so is anything with a hook beak and 2 toes infront and 2 toes inback. but usualy larger hookbills is called parrots but technicly they all are. lovebirds are a bit bigger then parrotlets, have darker beak, and more of a eyering and darker more gray feets. ofcourse this is just in general because there is many diffrent speceis of lovebirds.

if you ask me the parrotlets both looks female from the picture just from the more pale underside colour but really i cant tell much without the wings spreaded out.

is there somwhere with a flat surfase they can hide in the cage? if they have a plase they feel safe they will probably calm down more soon. vegies is good, if they like veggies(i haved be trying for ages to get my bird to eat veggies but she just attks them and dont eat it) but no avacado its toxic. try millet put little pieses in the foodbowl until they takes it from your hands. just move slow around them and dont worry it may take awile but they will trust you eventuly.

congrats on your new birds, have you thinked of a names?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM

Whatever kind of bird that they are, they are beautiful. I can't believe that someone would throw them out! That's just terrible. You are lucky that you found them. They are lucky you picked them up. Poor little guys. Best wishes with them. Please keep us updated on them and please keep us updated with pictures too!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Betta Bomb

some people deserve to be thrown out with the trash too! im glad you found these striking birds and gave them a good home. give them time and for sure they will come around, heck they were thrown in the garbage!! of coarse they will take time, the owner probably did it because they wont talk the way they want them too
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Absolutely unbelievable!! I can't imagine just throwing a pet in the trash! I can't even do that to a deceased pet, let alone a live one! What the heck is wrong with people???? What is the world coming to when we have no regard for life?!
Thank GOD you found them!! You're an angel to have taken them!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 AM

I remember finding a lovebird at school that me and my mum adopted after the school calling her because of how many pets we already have. it eventually escaped during a clean out
I hope they became more friendly with you
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

wow thank god you saved them!

They look like lovebirds, but i think the easiest way to tell if they're parrotlets or lovebirds is if they have nostrils!
Lovebirds have no visible nostrils on or above their beaks, but parrotlets do!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

oh gosh i just realised the 2 threads i answered are really old! sorry!

Tags
adopt, parrotlets, tame