Found Budgies - HELP - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation Found Budgies - HELP

About a 3 days ago my two cats found a small box and brought it inside. They hid it under my kitchen table, so I didnt see it. Yesterday I came home from work and there were three budgies ontop of the bookshelf in my kitchen, when I looked around I found the box full of cotton wool and a few feathers...I can only guess that these budgies were in the box. I'm guessing that this means that someone has abandoned them or something. I've put notices all around my local area telling ppl who they can contact, with a picture of the three birds. For now I'm keeping them in my old bird cage, and I have everything they need to be happy (I used to keep budgies a year or so ago).
I was wondering though, two of the birds have no tail feathers (I'd guess that my cats probably had a go at them), do their feathers grow back? They are all beautful birds, and it's a shame that they don't have tail feathers.
Also, if nobody replies to the fliers what should I do with them then? I'm willing to keep them, and make sure they are nowhere near my cats, but do you think it would be better to hand them into somebody? I've never been in this situation before, please help asap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Curmudgeon

That is a pretty amazing story, it boggles my mind your cats would bring in a box! I'm sure they heard the birds inside and the scratching sounds probably drove them crazy. It would mine.

Keep a close eye on the Budgies. If your cats scratched or bit them at all, the bacteria cats carry can cause very serious infections in birds and small mammals. If they start to show signs of infection, you'll need to get them to an avian vet pretty quickly.

All the feathers will grow back eventually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thank you so much. Ill keep my eye out for infections.

yea, i dont know if they did actualy bring in the box or not, i just presume they did because i cant think of any other expination! my cats love chasing birds, i know it sounds horrible - but i suppose thats just the nature of cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:46 PM

if the tail feathers were just "pulled out" they will grow back in about 4-6 weeks birds sometimes pull their own feathers out as part of grooming i guess they know exactly which ones are bad my budgie littlebit had surgery today as a matter of fact she had a tumor on her tail unfortunately the tumor and her complete tail was removed her bone was cut but her feathers will return around her rump but she is now tailess shes doing ok now but please consider finding suitable homes for the new budgies your right the cats will terrorize the birds and the birds can die of shock or they can have a heart attack i know from past experience my littlebit was terrorized by cats when she was just a little baby bird then i took her from that enviroment she was 3 months old i have my "pretty blue" (nickname) now 8 years find the budgies catless homes please
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:51 PM

keep the birds if you can, when you hand them over they are just as at risk of dying due to neglect and being passed around, and being unwanted. And if you do hand them over to someone screen the family well.
I have 4 rescued birds, and I love each one of them.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyFish
About a 3 days ago my two cats found a small box and brought it inside. They hid it under my kitchen table, so I didnt see it. Yesterday I came home from work and there were three budgies ontop of the bookshelf in my kitchen, when I looked around I found the box full of cotton wool and a few feathers...I can only guess that these budgies were in the box. I'm guessing that this means that someone has abandoned them or something. I've put notices all around my local area telling ppl who they can contact, with a picture of the three birds. For now I'm keeping them in my old bird cage, and I have everything they need to be happy (I used to keep budgies a year or so ago).
I was wondering though, two of the birds have no tail feathers (I'd guess that my cats probably had a go at them), do their feathers grow back? They are all beautful birds, and it's a shame that they don't have tail feathers.
Also, if nobody replies to the fliers what should I do with them then? I'm willing to keep them, and make sure they are nowhere near my cats, but do you think it would be better to hand them into somebody? I've never been in this situation before, please help asap!
Hi,
The feathers will grow back. You need to decide if you want to keep the birds though. If you think they can be happy and they will give you joy, keep them. If they will never be out of their cage and they will just "exist" with you, than maybe you want to find them a new home.
Have Fun,
Bill

Tags
avian vet, bird cage