Help! Baby bird I found - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Help! Baby bird I found

Ok so today I was walking daisy and she found a baby bird, Now i know what you guys are gonna say "leave it alone" or "put it back" I know for a fact this was on purpose by the mom. How? Because when I went to check I saw the nest on the tree, the mom there but not even caring about me being there. When I bent down to make sure it wasnt injured he was freezing cold and had a broken toe(sprain toe, not sure) I plan on taking him/her to the vet tomorrow. What I need to know is what to do till tomorrow. Any type of bird formula that I can make? Nesting? Idk what to do but I really want to help this little guy out as much as I can, either by turning him in a rescue or anything. Right now he/she is twitching and starting to look more alive than before. Help me thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lola

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

:/ never mind guys, just re-checked him/her. She/he is dead guys :/ looks like that him moving bit was him/her dying.

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Lovin' my pack!

That's so sad.It's great that you had the intentions of saving the poor lil bird. I would've liked to see what kind of bird it was..

For future reference if you ever come across another fallen baby,a make shift incubator of a styrofoam cooler,with a hole cut into the top for air,but cover it with a paper towel to prevent draft.

As for feeding???
Age would be a factor in feeding.
An older chick with feathers already present would indicate easier feeding.Pet shops sell a baby bird formula you can mix up and feed with a syringe.There are youtube vids that show you how to do it too.Younger chicks....they are more apt to choke if not done properly.If the mix is too hot,you can actually burn a hole in their crop.Hope some of this info helped.

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Newborn Pup

Next time when you come apon this get a aquarium ready with a heat pad (towels over the heat pad) and a warm lamp and lay him in there and get a fourmula ready and make sure its not to hot, (like how you would mesure the hotness for a babys milk fourmula)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Curmudgeon

Actually, you should not try to take care of/feed it yourself. If you really want to save the bird, let someone do it, that actually knows what they're doing.

Here are a couple of reasons to give the bird to a licensed rehabber:

If you've never done it before, you're just as likely to do more damage than to actually help it. I've seen MANY people cause the baby bird to aspirate the food.

What kind of food are you going to feed it if you don't know what species it is? Insectivores have different needs from herbivores.

There is is a significant legal issue here too. Native species of birds are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). It's illegal to possess them without a permit (like a rehab permit).

Don't expect that your "good intentions" will help you avoid a good sized ticket (as much as $300-500) Every single wildlife officer I know has very little sympathy for people who claim to trying to rehab the bird. The reason for that is that amateur, unlicensed rehabbers tend to kill the birds they are trying to help. Or, they end up imprinting the birds and making them too tame to survive in the wild.

Now is the time to look the phone number of a local rehabber.

These aren't pet birds and they shouldn't be handled by people any more than is absolutely necessary. If you aren't willing to do things correctly, it's probably better for you to just leave the bird alone and let nature take it's course.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Newborn Pup

i ment give it just enough food that it can last a bit longer so u can get it to a rehabitlator so it doesnt die

4 Budgies

3 cockatiels

2 dogs

Thats my crazy house hold

and 2 annoying parents

oh and me
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Rodentologist

Even a small amount of the correct food can cause serious problems in an animal that tiny. Our local wildlife center recommends putting the bird into a box and keeping it covered so that it will "sleep" and then getting it in as soon as possible.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Mygala I guess u never saw but 10 mins after posting this he did die. I never planned on keeping him. When I found him it was on a sunday and all the wildlife places were closed. I posted this so I could keep him alive for the night and as comfortable as possible till I could bring him to the local college which had a wild life rescue the next morning.

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mama bird probably sensed he was weak and wasn't going to live much longer and kicked him out of the nest.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Curmudgeon

I'm sorry if it was a bad experience for you.

Unfortunately, we can't always fix every baby animal we find. In some species, as many as 90% of the babies die before reaching the age of 1 year. It's no one's fault, and no one can help them all. Few people can help ANY of them.

Just try to do your best, but realize that most of the time the baby won't make it.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'd just like to remind though, that if you find a baby bird alone, that is hoping around and not flying and has pretty much all its feathers... DON'T RESCUE IT!
Baby birds need to learn to fly, so mama pushes them out to force them to learn and since they're clumsy at first, they'll hop on the ground till they get it. Mama bird is watching, so just leave the baby alone.
I'm a wildlife rehabilitator in the state of NY, but not where I currently live. Someone brought me a sparrow last year because they had no idea what to do with it, and i had to keep it overnight so I could get it to a bird rehab center. The woman who gave it to me wanted to keep it as a pet and had it in her posession for a few days in a wire cage with a bowl of water and a bowl of grains... baby did not have full feathers yet... So it was really starving and I gave it a tiny bit of the appropriate food and still got screamed at by the rehab center... until i mentionned I was a rehabber too!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Rodentologist

I used to wonder why they got so crazy over people feeding wildlife, since I mean, I kind of knew what birds ate and stuff. Since I started transporting, I've realized that people feed them the DUMBEST things and that's why they freak out so much. I heard a fawn got picked up the other day and the woman was feeding him cow's milk and honey.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Part of the Pack

Noah found a baby screech owl this morning perched on the side of his water dish. It sat pretty for pictures and according to the wildlife center in my area is should be flying soon enough. It sat on a stick for me long enough to get it to the safety of a turned over tree stump.

Thankfully for the baby, Noah was more scared of it than it was of us.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Newborn Pup

Formulated diets for birds :

Formulated diets are readily available brands made by many reputable companies, pet stores, and veterinarians. The food is made of grains, vegetables, fruits, and different types of proteins, as well as vitamins and minerals. The ingredients are mixed and then baked .These are very balance diet for birds.
Always avoid junk food and potato chips type stuff.

Tags
alive, baby bird, saved