Help!! Found a cockatiel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Help!! Found a cockatiel

Everyone has a story about a strange foundling on their doorstep, now so do I.

We found a cockatiel in our backyard yesterday. To keep him from getting hurt by the dogs, we scooped him up and put him into a cat carrier that we use for transporting the ferrets to the vet. Obviously, that was not an appropriate cage for him, so we bought a set up at PetSmart (I know, but short notice and no time to plan, etc etc) for him.

We are planning to post fliers in the neighborhood to see if anyone is looking for him. He is clearly a pet, clipped wings and calls for you when you are out of sight, but not exactly what I would call hand tame, especially for those of us that are -completely- unfamiliar with birds. I also recognize the possibility that he was dumped.

If he had been any number of other animal types, I would know what to do for him....but being one of those cooks that cannot survive without her T-fal, I have never considered getting a bird because of the health risk for them.

So....what do I do while looking for his owners? I got a seed diet and some fresh fruit and veggies for him to eat and a few toys while he's in this (hopefully) temporary living arrangement. But......where do I take him if they never step forward? Animal control wouldn't come for him and the Humane Society would take him, but would he be euthanized since he isn't hand tame? I'd hate to think I saved him from the death just to be killed because of adoptabilty issues.

My kids would like to keep him if the owners can't be found, but the T-fal issue, time, lack of knowledge...I just really think we're not the best home for him....so....HELP! LoL.

It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i don't think they would euthanize him for not being hand tame, i think most shelters could adopt them out, you can have a shelter list him on petfinder and not actually leave him at the shelter i think

you can look for a home for him on your own as well. and T-fal is only bad if it burns and i think that is over 500 degrees or something odd like that

someone will be able to help ya more

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

When I was 14 I had a cockatiel named JR...he was my sweet baby, while I had him in his outdoor inclosure another cockatiel came for a visit lol, I tried to find her home, but no one claimed her, we named her sinjin...We later found out that a breeder a few blocks down and set free his "rejects" well we kept her lol...

I know my mom cooked with t-fal, but we kept him in a room furthest from the kitchen or had him in his outdoor inclosure...we had JR for 9 years and SinJin for 4, we had to rehome them when I was in the hospital for a long time...my cousin who kept them also cooked with t-fal and did as we did...if you can't find the owners you could always rehome him if you are uncomfortable with the situation...our locla spca takes birds, they never put them down, even the wild ones...so maybe you could call and ask if thats what you need to do

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Can i have him? hehe i wonder if a bird magically appeared in our backyard if david would let me keep him
Im glad you found him.. i dont know where you live, but its getting pretty cold here at night so im glad you took him in. I don't really know much about birds, but if there wings are clipped i thought that meant they couldn't fly? Have you asked your neighbors about it? I dont know what the Humane Society would do with him. I would hope they would try to adopt him out, but i know the one up by my mom wont even take birds in. You might call and tell them about it anyway. maybe someone called them and said they lost one. or maybe they would know of a rescue or something in the area.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:45 PM

that is a great thing you is doing for this teil
there is som things make me think he was not dumped, is just an escaped pet.
1. to be able to catched a bird outside that is very hard he wuld have to be resonably tame for you to even be able to catch.
2.his wings are clipped. you have to clip a bird wings qite often because they regrow after every molt so ignored birds usualy dont have clip winges.
3.he call for you, a bird dont do this unles they trust humans to som extent
4. he eats veggies. alot birds is very piky eater it take alot of time and patence to get a bird to accept new foods

so even if he bite now or is scared it probably wont take him long to calm down. and if a person at the shelter know about birds hopefuly they will recognise this and work with the tiel so he become very adoptable. my advices is take him to a bird only rescue if you knows of one. also ask the lokal shelter if they haved any call about ann escape tiel or put up flyers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM

lost bird

did you find that bird in st aug fl thank you
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thumbs up Update on the 'tiel

No, I didn't find him in FL, we live in AZ. LoL.

BUT there is good news......Gino is home with his mate and chick tonight!!

We just got the chance to go door-to-door around the immediate neighborhood tonight and we found his owners. He got away Sunday while they were clipping his wings. They happened to live about 5 doors down from us and have been going crazy trying to find him so that his mate would stop beating up the chick she was trying to raise without help for three days. LoL.

And I am sure they are his owners, I only asked if anyone was missing a 'tiel and they said yes, so I asked them to describe him...which they did to a 'T'. Plus they brought his mate down with them to pick him up and he went right to her.

So all is well that ends well...
Now if I just can get my money back for the cage like the employee at PetSmart promised. : LoL

It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am so glad you found his home and he is back with his family

I hope you get your money back, when we found an injured canery we put it in our cage and when we took it to the wildlife shelter we gave them the cage...so now we need a new one lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Aww what a happy ending

My Furry Family
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

You are so wonderful for saving him. I am sure his mate is thrilled to have him back.
Oh and Petsmart should return it without a problem. They are good about that.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny