help please? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

help please?

i want to get a bird at some point, however, i don't know what kind of bird is right for me.

i was thinking about a dove because their poo isnt too hard to clea up, they're not stupidly noisy and the noise the do make is really nice, and they supposedly become attached to their owners.

at the moment i don't have enough time or money for a bird, as i work a whole load of jobs and have just enough time to keep my rats happy and spoiled, however, once i've finished school i'll probably be going into a bank which then frees up my evening and opens up the pay door.

i want a bird which wont fly away at every opportunity, wont make stupid amounts of mess, might learn to cuddle, doesn't require too much time out of the cage, however time out of cage can be necessary every day (it's also fun!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you won't have a bird that will cuddle if you don't spend alot of time with it out of the cage, at least at first, and then continue to let it out often

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 PM

I wuld say a small parrot (parakeet, lovebird, porrotlet) because
1.if you let it out before the meal it wont poo much. and my bird never ever haved poo on me or any person. and its really not much hard to cleen up if you feeds a good diet.
2.if you spend time with your bird it will bonds to you and not fly away. my bird mostly never leevs the room im in. and if i leev she come with me.
3. all bird maks some mess but not alot (like flinging foods) unles they is boerd.
4.if you gives a bird attentions when its quiet and ignors it beeing loud it will learn easily to be quiet.any parrots is good at imitating so you can play a tape of dove sound and your parrot sound like a dove now haha
5.dont expect a bird to cuddle because it culd be the nicest bird in the world but not like touching some bird just dont.
6. a small bird in a very big cage could exersize a little in there. but of cours you needs to let it out everyday. but if you teeched a bird to play by itself you culd do somthing else but ofcours they still needs to be play with for some time
So i hope this helped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks guys for the help!

by not too much time i really meant something stupid like 8 hours everyday and things like that.

the putting the tape of the dove sound next to a parrot made me lol! lol.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Princess in Waiting

I have a parrotlet that I hand-raised and it is terrified of being touched. She'll sing and "talk" to us but doesn't want out of the cage!

I have a Senegal parrot (small parrot) that I also hand-raised. She's a hoot! Likes some attention and "love time" sometimes but not always (moody), talks, etc.

From what you've said, I would suggest that you spend a lot of time reading about different birds, talking to other bird owners, etc., before you seriously consider getting a bird. They are a big responsibility and if things go right a lot of parrots will outlive you.

We started off with cockatiels, but when they reached puberty all they wanted to do was bite!!

Good luck!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

i recently had a thought...

if you got a bird that mimicked noises, could you play it whale noises and.. well, you get the picture from there.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Princess in Waiting

Theoretically yes. Ahh, but we're dealing with animals here who generally have the intelligence and maturity of a child. So if they want to imitate a whale noise a lot of them certainly could. But have you ever tried to make a child do something they don't want to do???

The Eclectus (in my avatar) was my buddy and we lost him the first of June. He was very young - 9 years. He was the soundtrack around here. When we would go on trips and board him the bird store had a blast with him because he spoke with a definite Southern accent.

Among his sayings - "Hey Henry" (his name) very drawn out and Southern; "What are you doing" "Night night" & "I'm Daddy's pretty pretty pretty boy" whispered. We whistled and sang. He'd screech and we'd yell. At one point when he was younger he would say "Henry Jesus" because that's what I would often say when he hollered. For a while we told everyone that was his middle name but it taught us to stop saying it so he did.

Henry didn't like to be handled. He would sit on a hand or a shoulder but be ready with the bandaids if you tried to touch his back.

I could go on and on because I loved and miss this bird so much. But I hope you get the point that even within the same type of bird you're still going to find different personalities.

I sometimes go to www.birdbulletin.com. They have people there with all kinds of birds. Maybe if you lurk around there a bit you can learn some more about different kinds of birds.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentopia View Post
i recently had a thought...

if you got a bird that mimicked noises, could you play it whale noises and.. well, you get the picture from there.
Hahahaha yeah thats funny it wuld realy freek out everyone who came into your house haha
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

exactly!

henry sounded like a cool bird. sorry about your loss.

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 AM

budgies make excellent pets..yhey become very attached to thier owners but will require patience in the taming..

cockatiels are very loud but again become attached to thier owners..they are very good at cuddles and so affectionate..

canaries,lovebirds and finches are not such a great idea as they are small and dont seem to bond with people..they are clean and are reletivley quiet..except for a male canarie which will cheep the house down

larger birds such as macaws and african greys are VERY affectionate but expensive to buy and keep..but they are very loud and will immitate almost anything you say so you have to be careful what to say around them..

from a personal experience i would say budgies are your best bet..they are cheep to buy and to keep..can be loud at times..will bond with you very well and will give you cuddles and kisses just like mine do and you can let them out the cage on a regular bases..
their diet consists on ....spray millet..budgie mix..sunflower seeds..fresh fruit and veg (apple carrot) canarie seedand grass:0

hope that helps

xx