Help! Please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
I am allergic to maths

Help! Please!

Ok, so as some of you know, I have a budgie called susan. We got her some new cage toys and furnishings because her old ones were getting pretty tatty. Three days ago I noticed that she had dihhorea, because the change in the enviroment stressed her. I thought that it would clear up in a day or two. Today I took a look at her (I do a weekly health check on all my pets) and her butt is in a real mess, all her poo has clumped up on her feathers, I also noticed that she is missing all her feathers on her chin/neck are missing from excessive grooming, I imagine from the stress, its looking red raw and scabby. So today I decided to put her outside (its cooler, there is no wind either) with her bird bath in her cage and I covered the cage up. Im checking on her every half an hour, she isnt using the bath though. I know she should go to the vet but im afraid that the stress of the hour-long trip would kill her before she got there. Im at a loss, what should I do? Should I put gloves (she isnt tame) on and clean her myself? Should I remove her toys and hope that the dihhorea stops? Should I leave the toys in and wait for it to clear up? I think that she will pull through as long as we put no more stress on her, she is tough. Im going to phone the vet tomorrow and see if he can give us any advice, im also going to go to the pet shop and see if they have any meds. Please help, I have no clue what to do next!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Curmudgeon

Go to the vet. I think it's unlikely that the change in the environment started it. I've never seen stress affect a budgie like that.

You need to deal with the most serious problem first. She could dehydrate and die in the short term. If her stools are still runny, offer her clean water and her her favorite foods. Seeds are probably best, but bread or crackers can help too. Although it might seem like a good idea to give her fruit or lettuce because of the water in it, it can make the stool even runnier. You could add a little bit of pedialyte to the water. Too much and she won't drink it (budgies don't seem to like the taste). It will help replace electrolytes.

In the long term, whatever started the diarrhea could kill her too. So you need to see the vet soon if it looks like she is still having runny stools.

Whatever you choose to do, DO NOT use over the counter meds from a pet store. They are worse than useless and will compound the problem.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
Go to the vet. I think it's unlikely that the change in the environment started it. I've never seen stress affect a budgie like that.

You need to deal with the most serious problem first. She could dehydrate and die in the short term. If her stools are still runny, offer her clean water and her her favorite foods. Seeds are probably best, but bread or crackers can help too. Although it might seem like a good idea to give her fruit or lettuce because of the water in it, it can make the stool even runnier. You could add a little bit of pedialyte to the water. Too much and she won't drink it (budgies don't seem to like the taste). It will help replace electrolytes.

In the long term, whatever started the diarrhea could kill her too. So you need to see the vet soon if it looks like she is still having runny stools.

Whatever you choose to do, DO NOT use over the counter meds from a pet store. They are worse than useless and will compound the problem.

Bob
I totally agree with everything Bob said. Take her to the vet ASAP. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
I am allergic to maths

Thanks but she died a few months ago
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh I'm sorry, did you ever find out what was wrong with her?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Newborn Pup

Awww, Im so sorry to hear that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
I am allergic to maths

Thank you . I am not fond of birds and I didnt know alot about them. I took bobs advice and took her to the vet, turns out that she had diabetes type disease and since she was old her body wasnt dealing with it well so she was put on meds, she seemed pretty peacful after that. About a month later she died. RIP susan We now have a new budgie called bobby, I have been reading up more on birds because even though its my brother that wanted the bird, any pet that comes into the house is my responsibilty after a couple of weeks and I dont want any animals to suffer.

Tags
budgie