Hey Critter! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Talking Hey Critter!

Hey Critter, how is Frosty doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

We're on the same vibe, woman. I was just getting ready to do a post about Frosty!

Frosty almost died. I took her back to the breeder on Friday; Bubba had her out Thursday night and said something about her looking cold. I took one look and said She ain't cold, she's sick.

You know, I have been talking to the breeder all along about what trouble I was having weaning her and she kept saying that she was just too attached to me and was being stubborn, etc. She would eat a millet spray stick in no time, but I rarely saw her eating from a dish.

I immediately put about 20cc's of food into her crop on Thursday night and again Friday a.m. I held my breath and finally broke down and called about her yesterday - I had promised myself I would wait until today but just couldn't do it.

The breeder has her in a cage with some former cage-mates who have been weaned for 2 months, and she said that they are all pushing Frosty to the food dish; she said it isn't unusual to see birds gather around one who isn't eating and try to show it how. She's still feeding her twice a day.

She said that Frosty is the rare cockatiel that comes along sometimes who just LOVES to be with people and would have starved herself because she couldn't be with me all the time. She says that she will still keep the loving personality, which is good because that's what I want for my parents.

So she is doing okay now, we have decided that neither of us is to blame (but why do I feel so guilty?) and I'm not going to get her back until she is weaned, since she's being difficult. Much as I love hand-feeding that's fine with me!

Oh, and she thinks Frosty is a boy instead of a girl! We had been going by posture and the fact that she/he didn't whistle here. She said she heard a different 'tiel whistling in the nursery the other day and it was Frosty. (males whistle, females don't)

Will update you again when there is any more news.

Thanks for asking!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:09 PM

Poor Frosty! I hope Shim'll be ok!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I think shim will now - but it was a close call. Too close for comfort in my book!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Oh man, that must have been scary. But I'm glad she's doing better now! I know what you mean about feeling guilty...but don't!! It's easy for me to say that and harder for you to make yourself believe it BUT just remember that you were doing what you thought was right and of course you wouldn't do anything to hurt frosty!

Ohhh, I'm so glad she's feeling better though! I know you love hand feeding but I think in this case you made the right decision.....don't worry you'll have plenty more fids to hand feed!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I've hand-fed a bunch of fids and am thankful that I know enough to realize that we were in trouble.

I'm gonna try to wait until tomorrow to check on her again - patience is not one of my finest virtues! I wanted a bird that would bond well with its person, but this one was almost bonded too well.

I'll give you an update as soon as I have one. And I'm glad it wasn't a problem with her crop - once those stop up there is nothing you can do (believe me, I have tried.)

CRITTERCALL

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 02:30 PM

How upsetting Critter. I am glad that you knew what you were doing.

Remember when I asked that weird request. . . Well it was because Thomas was crying and I was doing everything I knew to do, but nothing was working. Good news I am still supplementing and we are both doing well. Still not enough milk, but he is getting what he needs. I also felt guilty, but realize that it isn't just me that has this problem. Unfortunately I have a friend who is a nurse who thinks it is all in my head. I just have to ignore her and continue doing what I know is right.

Hang in there. I can't wait to hear if Frosty is a he or a she.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

The important thing is that Thomas continues to grow and be healthy and strong - and if you are stressing that isn't going to help any in the production area!

I have a friend who was nursing her baby (1 year old this month) when we went to Hawaii last May. She had pumped and frozen the milk because her Mom was keeping the baby. She even took a picture of all the little baggies of milk in the freezer to show the baby one day and let her know what good care she had taken of her! She's a hoot.

Hope things continue well in that department. Have you posted any new pictures of Thomas lately? I emailed my daughter today and fussed because I haven't had a picture of Zoe lately.

CRITTERCALL